Just off the coast of Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, the Caribbean island of Cozumel has become increasing popular with travelers looking beyond the tourist hubs of Tulum and Cancún. But there’s more to the diminutive island than turquoise water and white beaches. In recent years, scuba divers have been flocking to the area to explore the underwater paradise found within its waters.
Punta Sur Reef
As with the other dive sites on this list, Punta Sur is located within Arrecifes de Cozumel National Park. This marine park protects the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System, the second-largest coral reef system on the planet.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Reaching to depths of approximately 90 feet (27 meters), Punta Sur is one of the world’s most beautiful dive sites, and is divided into distinct sections. The southern section contains a stunning chamber known as the Cathedral, which is bursting with sea life, including spotted eagle rays, barracuda and toadfish.
The northern section of Punta Sur contains Devil’s Throat, a spectacular cave formation. Due to the depth and strong currents, the dive should only be undertaken by very experienced divers.
Located in front of the park that bears its name, Chankanaab Reef is the ideal spot for beginner divers. Reaching a depth of approximately 40 feet (12 meters), the reef has two distinct sections divided by a sand channel. The northern section teems with marine animals such as crabs and lobsters and even the occasional seahorse.
The southern section is slightly shallower and is a popular destination for night dives. Once dark, the area is heavily populated with lobsters, spotted moray eels and toadfish.
Palancar Gardens Reef
With only a moderate current, the Palancar Gardens is suitable for all experience levels. Dropping to depth of up to 80 feet (25 meters) divers can enjoy the area’s numerous finger coral formations. Although the reef does not boast Cozumel’s greatest selection of fish, the brightly-colored coral makes this a truly unforgettable dive. Keep an eye out for octopus, parrotfish and angelfish as you swim up to the surface.
Plunging to depths of approximately 150 feet (46 meters), Maracaibo is the deepest dive on this list and is also the island’s southernmost reef. The spectacular wall dive is to be conducted with extreme caution and divers should descend slowly and keep their bearings. Currents are sometimes unpredictable and there are generally large ocean swells when entering the water. Keep an eye out for reef sharks, nurse sharks and eagle rays.
Santa Rosa Wall
Santa Rosa is one of Cozumel’s most popular dives, and is probably best visited in the afternoon, when the light is good and most other divers have moved on. A wall dive with potential currents, Santa Rosa is best suited to divers with an intermediate level of experience. The coral wall begins at around 50 feet (15 meters) below the surface and boasts fire coral and massive sponges. High traffic has led to a decline in the number of fish in the area, but look out for toadfish, bright-colored parrot fish and sea turtles.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.