The colonial city of San Miguel de Allende is an amalgam of traditional architecture and history. For many of its visitors and locals it is also the gourmet capital of Mexico, the best place to appreciate life’s small pleasures and satisfy one’s senses with an abundance of colour, music and the dazzling aromas of the traditional Mexican cuisine. The following restaurants offer the best local food in town and satisfy those eager to experience ‘the real thing.’
An old school restaurant for those looking to have solid local food while enjoying live music, Los Milagros offers its customers the real Mexican experience: Mariachi singers, delicious molcajetes, enchiladas mineras, and generous platters of mouth watering, sizzlingly hot fajitas. The ingredients are as fresh as it can get and the service is quick and attentive. The perfect introduction to Mexican food and culture.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
17 Calle Reloj, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, tel: 415-152-0097
An impressive colonial-style restaurant with high ceilings and an atmospheric interior as well as a serene outside space, Lolita offers a unique ambience to enjoy authentic Mexican meals. This charming all-rounder is particularly popular for its varied and delicious breakfast menu. Try the Lolita Eggs (Uevos Lolita) and enjoy the hearty breakfasts in the restaurant’s leafy patio. The meal and snack menus also offer a great variety of dishes made from the recipes of the abuela, the inspiration behind this restaurant.
Conveniently located in the heart of San Miguel next to Jardin Principal, Pueblo Viejo offers genuinely local food. You have the option to sit either on the exclusive rooftop terrace, which has beautiful views of the city’s colonial churches, or inside the high ceiling main restaurant. The cosy village style interior is very atmospheric and at night there is also live music, just as the Mexican tradition dictates. Go for local dishes like tacos, sopas and mole, and of course the delicious margaritas.
Umaran 6, Col. Centro C.P., San Miguel de Allende , México, (415) 152 49 77
La Mezcaleria serves a modern interpretation of Mexican cuisine in a simple, elegant and quite trendy ambience. Mezcal is a distilled alcoholic beverage produced from the plant maguey in Mexico, another type of agave. This unique restaurant uses Mezcal creatively to make the most interesting and tasty margaritas in town. The menu is an imaginative fusion of different elements which has become very popular among adventurous foodies who don’t mind having grasshoppers as a starter (The traditional Oaxacan speciality goes great with Mezcal). Dishes like their fresh Pulpo with mango or the pork ribs never fail to impress.
Correo #47-A col. Centro., San Miguel de Allende, Mexico tel: 52 415 121 5354
El Pato Barbacoa y Mixiotes
This roadside food stand is the best place to enjoy the most tender and succulent lamb Barbacoa and the best spicy Mixiotes in town. This delicious lamb served with a mouth watering combination of hand made tortillas and fresh salsas, makes the long drive from the centre of the town well worth it. El Pato Barbacoa y Mixiotes is a budget venue for those looking to taste local peoples’ food and do not mind the simple surroundings.
Calzada de la Estacion 112, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, tel: 4151174208
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.