Puerto Vallarta is famous for its dazzling beaches and nightlife, but there is so much more in the surrounding area, with a variety of activities to do in its mountains, virgin beaches, and colonial towns, not to mention some delicious food. These are the best day trips to take from Puerto Vallarta.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Yelapa and Majahuitas
Take a break from the noise and stress of urban life and hit Yelapa and Majahuitas. Majahuitas is a little-known beach to the south of Vallarta, with crystal green waters, white sands, and a calm and peaceful atmosphere, surrounded by dazzling vegetation. Part of the charm of this beach is that you can access it only by boat or catamaran. Spend a morning snorkeling and then make your way by boat to Yelapa, a fishing village a few minutes away. This picturesque village inspires artists; it is said to be Bob’s Dylan favorite place. Do some sightseeing in the town, visit the waterfalls, and in the afternoon go to the beach and admire the beautiful sunset.
A quiet beach that can only be reached by boat, Las Caletas has natural beauty and a calm atmosphere so you can disconnect from the world, but it also offers the possibility of doing some thrilling activities. Enjoy of a morning lying on a hamaca, drinking a piña colada, surrounded by the stunning views of the clear waters and the exuberant jungle. Some of the activities you can do here include watching the exotic fauna, diving, snorkeling among sea lions, paddle boarding, kayaking, and guided trekking. There are other attractions in the area: an aviary, an orchid, a deer sanctuary, and a spa at the top of a hill. If you have kids, they’ll love riding a donkey or crossing hanging bridges and zip lines.
A beautiful little Magical Village, Tequila is known for its charm and architecture, and was once inhabited by the Chichimecas and Otomíes peoples. The way to Tequila is through some vibrant agave fields. From the moment you arrive, you can feel the charm of this picturesque town full of colors with stone-paved streets and a traditional Mexican atmosphere. Take a walk around, have traditional artisanal ice cream, and take some pictures of the architecture of the churches. You can also take a tour in the tequila train and do some tequila tasting. Hit La Rojeña de José Cuervo, the oldest distillery in Mexico, discover the ancient process of making this drink, and sip some delicious margaritas. You’ll soon realize why this is called a Magical Village.
The Sierra Madre
Puerto Vallarta has so much more to offer than beaches and nightlife. The jungle gives you the opportunity to be in close contact with nature and admire the wildlife. If you are going to do it, the Sierra Madre is a good option. You can either hike it, and enjoy traditional food offered to tourists by local families, or take a guided tour. Vallarta Adventures is a good option; take the Offroad Adventure, an expedition to the Sierra Madre that includes crossing the jungle in jeeps and taking a guided nature hike. The trip includes a visit to a local family to have a typical meal, and ends up with some shots at beachside bar.
Jorullo Bridge is a hanging bridge, and not just any hanging bridge, but the longest in the world. You can cross it by walking or riding an off-road vehicle above the Cuale River. This is a new attraction in Puerto Vallarta, and it gives you the chance to enjoy of an amazing view of the river and the Sierra Madre mountains from a high vantage point. You can also visit the crystal waters of El Salto waterfall and delight in the local food at Los Coapinoles restaurant. The Mexican eco-tourism company Canopy River is a good choice for this trip.
Sayulita is a small town 55 minutes from Puerto Vallarta, with the atmosphere of an uncommercial little village – just like Puerto Vallarta itself once was. Its beach is a favorite spot for tourists coming from all over the world, which gives a touch of hippie surfer culture to the ambience. You can take some landscape photos in the tropical jungle, which is home to rattlesnakes, iguanas, badgers, wild boars, ocelots, deer, and turkeys, relax on the beach, or ride a horse by the seashore. Walk through the colorful streets of the town, buy some Mexican crafts, and check out the rustic furniture in downtown stores. In the afternoon, you can enjoy some delightful local food while overlooking the stunning sunset. If you’d like to stay the night here, there are cozy hotels, bungalows, and camping areas.
Talpa and Mascota
Mexico is not just about beaches and warm weather; it is rich in flora and fauna, with a wonderful fresh atmosphere, courtesy of the pine forests and mountains. Take a break from the beach and immerse yourself in the traditional life of the colonial towns of the Sierra Madre. In Mascota, you can appreciate the architecture and visit the Anthropology Museum. Don’t miss the Preciosa Sangre Church, which was built in 1900 but never finished because of the revolution. Talpa is rich in tradition and history, attracting artisans, travelers, and pilgrims. There are stunning views of the volcanoes and hills of the Esmeralda Valley. Vallarta Adventures offers a guided trip that includes interaction with local schools, visits to cheese stores and bakeries, and food cooked by local families.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.