Mexico’s Gulf Coast region was one of the first to receive Spanish colonizers. So you’ll find some Spanish influence, but not as much as you might think. The thriving indigenous communities continue to strongly influence its cuisine, incorporating tropical fruits and vegetables, as well as backyard fowl and the bounty of fresh seafood found in the Gulf’s waters.
Like most of the country, the Gulf Coast region is fond of mezcal and tequila, but the heat there will make you crave something cold and refreshing. Try an agua – water flavored with sweet lime, sour orange, or pepper chocolate – as well as liqueur made from cacao, sugarcane or habanero peppers.
#aguadelimas #aguadelima #limonada #lemonade #aguadelimones #refresconatural #bebidasconglamour
Una publicación compartida por Marta (@martabrucart) el Sep 8, 2017 at 1:10 PDT
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
To whet the appetite
In both Tabasco and Veracruz, stuffed plantains are extremely popular as a snack or accompaniment to a meal. For this recipe plantains are boiled, mashed and made into a kind of dough. That dough is then wrapped around fresh cheese, seasoned ground beef or beans, and then deep fried. They’re served with a dollop of either a tomato salsa or cream on the top.
Jaiba en Ceviche
Ceviche, raw fish cooked in lime and mixed with various fresh ingredients, is found up and down the Gulf Coast. Every chef has his or her own recipe and the type of fish or seafood can also vary. Common ingredients are tomato, onion, catsup, pepper, salt, sometimes oregano and cilantro, and even a chipotle pepper or two.
These small corn tortillas are spread with salsa and fried quickly in lard. In the Gulf they are most commonly topped with shredded pork, grated cheese and sliced onion, but you can also find them with shredded chicken and fried potatoes or occasionally with shredded beef.
Amor verdadero #truelove #foodlovers #foodpics #foodies #foodie #vivemexico #mexicomagico #sope #tlacoyo #maiz #raiz #realmexicanfood #foodstagram #foodstyling #cook #instashare #instagood #mmm #ilovecdmx #garnachas #cookstyle #cookstagram
Una publicación compartida por Marco Antonio Leaños Castillo (@chefmarcoleanos) el May 1, 2018 at 11:37 PDT
The soup course
Huatape is a thick seafood soup made from a base of water, corn dough, and chiles. It’s often seasoned with the Mexican herb epazote, ancho chile, tomato, onion and garlic. In northern Veracruz look out for versions with prawns and river shrimp.
#huatapedecamaron #huatape #veracruzmexico #tamaulipas #cocinadelmar #traditional
Una publicación compartida por javier hernandez (@javierhernandez) el Mar 12, 2017 at 11:14 PDT
On the side
A super-thin tortilla made with corn dough and pork lard, in Tabasco the dough can be mixed with coconut, beans, sweet potato or beef fat. In Veracruz they make a version called the totoposte del viento (of the wind) that’s even thinner!
La Joya Veracruz is known country-wide for its famous smoked cheese. A trip to this region wouldn’t be right without trying some.
Hearty main plates
A hearty beef and vegetable stew, the Tabasco version includes beef, beef bones and bone marrow as well as garlic, onion, chayotes (sometimes called vegetable pears), creole zuchinni, sweet potato, yuca, taro, corn, carrots and potatoes.
Mantaraya al Pibil
Found along the coast of Tamulipas, stingray is a delicacy and comes in various shapes and sizes. Stingray al pibil means that the meat of the stingray is rubbed with the juice of sour oranges and achiote – a sweet, slightly peppery red sauce made from a plant found in the tropics called annatto seed – wrapped in banana leaves and slow-cooked in an underground pit. Pibil is good on everything else, so why not stingray?
Arroz a la Tumbada
Tipical of the Sotavento area of Veracruz, arroz a la tumbada is a soupy rice and seafood dish, similar to Spanish paella in its basic concept but with a very distinct flavor. The dish has oregano, garlic, tomato and epazote in it and can include shrimp, octopus, crab, oysters and clam. It’s accompanied with bread or tortillas.
Una publicación compartida por Ale Avalos (@ale.avalos18) el Mar 15, 2018 at 2:36 PDT
For a sweet tooth
Dulce de Pataxte
Pataxte, or Theobroma bicolor, is a type of cacao found only in mesoamerica – the southern parts of Mexico, in Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. The tree’s seeds are white and fatty and their pulp is mixed in Tabasco with piloncillo to make a traditional dessert.
Budin de Calabaza
A kind of zuchinni bread, this budin de calabaza is made with a yellow zuchinni in Tabasco with raisins and sugar mixed in. In Veracruz, it also has vanilla added.
These little beauties come in all forms, but their basic recipe is grated coconut, cooked in water with sugar or piloncillo. In Tabasco they are often mixed with fruit like pineapple or sweet potato and in Veracruz they are decorated with raisins on top.
Feliz primer día de septiembre, que mejor que hacer una ricas cocadas!! Bueno mañana les subo la receta, quién dijo yo??? #polinenlacocina #cocadas
Una publicación compartida por polinenlacocina (@polinenlacocina) el Sep 1, 2017 at 5:30 PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.