While many visitors to Mexico focus their attention on Pre-Columbian art and 20th century artists such as Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera, contemporary Mexican artists also draw from the country’s aesthetic traditions to answer pertinent questions regarding life in Mexico and the world today. Mexico’s leading contemporary artists have emerged from varied backgrounds and work with an array of media. The following 10 artists exhibit at galleries in Mexico City and New York.
Minerva Cuevas is a conceptual artist, born and educated in Mexico City. Her projects require extensive social and political research and include installation, video and photography. Her installations often take the form of site-specific pieces, such as the introduction of a free pay phone that pedestrians and art-viewers utilized at Cuevas’ expense. This installation and others work to draw out political and social commentary surrounding themes of injustice, the role of corporations in contemporary life, and the mitigation of these by individuals. Cuevas is exhibited widely and is represented in Mexico City by Kurimanzutto Gallery.
An artist and tattooist based in Oaxaca, Mexico, Dr. Lakra is known for his embellished collages and elaborate drawings atop found objects and photographs. Described by the Saatchi Gallery as a ‘carnival of the grotesque’ comprised of ‘kitschy erotica, ancient ritual, and hallucinogenic visions’, his work responds to issues of cultural identity by prodding at and decentering social norms. He is represented by the Kurimanzutto Gallery in Mexico City and has been shown at the Institute of Contemporary Art Boston and the Tate Modern, among other museums and galleries worldwide.
Los Super Elegante
Los Super Elegantes is a Mexican-Argentinian art performance and music group based in Los Angeles. Their work combines musical, theatrical, cinematic, material and visual components. Their videos and songs are available widely on the internet. Their performances however, are less directed to popular audiences than typical museum performances. The group has performed at museums like the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, the Whitney Biennial, Frieze Art Fair, and the Hammer Museum, among others.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Check Los Super Elegantes’ website for upcoming performances.
Working with media ranging from collage and sculpture to installation, Gabriel Kuri’s work engages the complexities of consumer culture. By modifying and decontextualizing mass-produced and everyday objects, Kuri asks how we assign value to things and how we represent information. Gabriel Kuri was trained both in Mexico and the United Kingdom. His work has been exhibited at the Venice Biannale, the Berlin Biannale, and at museums including the Blaffer Art Museum and ICA in Boston, Massachusetts. He is represented by the Gallery in Berlin, Germany, by Kurimanzutto in Mexico City, and by Regens Projects in Los Angeles, California.
Regens Projects, 6750 Santa Monica Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA +1 310 276 5424
Born in Veracruz, Mexico and trained in both Mexico and Spain, Gabriel Orozco is one of the most influential artists of his generation. His drawings, photography, sculpture, and installations often explore the relationship between materials and common objects, and how their modification can insight different perspectives of reality in viewers. Orozco has displayed work at museums such as the Museum of Modern Art, the Centre Pompidou, and the Tate Modern, and is represented by the Marian Goodman Gallery in New York and the Kurimanzutto Gallery in Mexico City, among several others worldwide.
Marian Goodman Gallery, 24 W 57th Street #4, New York, NY, USA +1 212 977 7160
A native of Mexico City, Damián Ortega is one of Mexico’s prominent contemporary artists. His influence has spanned genres such as sculpture, installation, photography, and video. Ortega studied with Gabriel Orozco and is said to have absorbed his teacher’s ‘acute attention to form’. Beginning his career as a political cartoonist, Ortega’s work still embodies the wit and criticism inherent in his early work. Much of Ortega’s sculptural work considers commonplace objects through their materiality, by examining how they are assembled or disassembled, and how they fit together. Ortega’s work is represented by the Kurimanzutto Gallery in Mexico City and the Gladstone Gallery in New York.
Gladstone Gallery, 515 W 24th Street, New York, NY, USA +1 212 206 9300
Daniela Rossell is a prominent Mexican photographer, famous for her portraits of elite women in Mexico and the insight they have provided into the lifestyles of Mexico’s upper classes. The daughter of a Mexican politician and art collector herself, Rossell has enjoyed unparalleled access to the private lives of her model-informants. Her photographs provoke lavish narratives of oblivious luxury, juxtaposed against the poverty of the Mexican majority. The photographs were published in her 1994 book Ricas y Famosas. Her work is shown by the West Collection in Philadelphia and the Greene Naftali Gallery in New York City.
Greene Naftali Gallery, 508 W 26th Street, New York, NY, USA + 1 212 463 7770
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.