At first glance, it might be hard to get past the industrial vibe of Montreal’s Mile-Ex district, but it’s quickly emerging as one of the city’s trendiest neighborhoods. Here are some of the best things to see and do around Mile-Ex in order to get a sense of what the area has to offer.
Grab a coffee
If you’re looking to head off the beaten path of the hipster cafés that characterize the Plateau and Mile End neighborhoods, you can head over to Mile-Ex and find other options. Two of the trendiest coffee shops right now are Café Guerrero and the minimalist-styled Dispatch Coffee, which also has a great terrasse during the warmer months.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Have a quick lunch
There are numerous restaurants in Mile-Ex, ranging from vegetarian fare to Italian, gastropubs to contemporary diners. A favorite spot is Dépanneur le Pick Up, playing on the common sight of a corner “dep” around the city and styled as part convenience store and part lunch counter.
There are a variety of quirky locally owned shops around Mile-Ex, including DOMO, a popular gift shop that offers Montreal-centric items, from house décor to clothing, featuring METRO signs, logos from the infamous Expo ’67, and Olympic ’76 designs. The store also functions as a café.
Go out for a drink
In the evenings around this district, what appear to be old garages or factories suddenly transform into industrial-chic bars offering everything from creative cocktails to local brews. One of the most popular of these is Alexandraplatz, which is closed in the winter, but through the spring and summer, it’s one of the most vibrant places in the neighborhood.
Head to a gallery
With its origins as an industrial district, Mile-Ex was subsequently known as a hub for contemporary experimental architecture. Through the years, former factories have been repurposed as art-filled gallery spaces. One example is Never Apart, a creative space that offers built-in theatres for indie screenings, a garden, and even a saltwater pool—along with an archive that includes 10,000 vinyl records. The mission of the organization is to foster a conscious community space by collaborating with local artists and regularly hosting events and exhibitions.
Relax in the park
Parc Jarry is a large green space that is a stone’s throw from Mile-Ex, and you’ll find not only families picnicking under the trees and casual baseball games happening in the fields, but the Uniprix Stadium also hosts international tennis matches. Other facilities include cricket, softball, and soccer fields, a skate park, tennis and basketball courts, a public pool, and an artificial lake.
Enjoy the location
One of the geographical benefits of Mile-Ex is the fact that it lies between Mile End and Parc Ex; you can easily get to either neighborhood on foot. Also accessible are Little Italy and the well-known Jean-Talon Market, adding to the dynamism of the community’s offerings.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.