The energetic atmosphere of cities is thrilling, but the charm and pace of small towns offer visitors an opportunity to discover a different aspect of local culture. Strolling through quaint little streets, picking up local goods from cute boutique stores, stopping off in a dainty teashop, trying local craft beers and wines or having a chat with friendly residents is what sets these small towns apart. Check out these gems in Ontario. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
You won’t want to miss the historical little town of Collingwood. The heritage of the buildings downtown adds to the appeal of wandering through the local shops and restaurants. Visitors to Collingwood can also enjoy the neighboring Blue Mountain ski resort. As well as outdoor activities in the summer and winter sports during the colder months, there are plenty of great places to eat and a Scandinavian spa for unwinding.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The small town of Merrickville is known as “The Jewel of the Rideau”—a befitting title for one of the best-preserved 19th-century villages in Ontario by the Rideau Canal. Artist studios, boutique shops, and restaurants add to the character of Merrickville’s beautiful downtown. Many of the restored stone buildings are under the Ontario Heritage Act. The Blockhouse, built in 1832, is a National Historic Site of Canada, houses a museum and is a must-see.
Famous for its wineries, Shaw Festival and proximity to one of the world’s natural wonders, Niagara-on-the-Lake has something for just about everyone. Aside from perusing the historic downtown, you could see a show or cycle through the vineyards and visit Niagara Falls. As it’s known for its culinary excellence, foodies will enjoy the elegant restaurants, local beer, and wines of the town, and shopaholics will love The Outlet Collection at Niagara. Niagara-on-the-Lake is one of the best spots for sunsets. For a stunning view of the sun going down, head to the lake by Queen Street.
Overlooking Lake Huron, Goderich has earned the accolade of Canada’s prettiest town from Queen Elizabeth II. Full of natural beauty and historic charm, the town designed in an octagon boasts parks, three beaches, award-winning flower gardens, and heritage architecture. The central focus of Goderich is “The Square,” which is where a majority of local events take place.
The dreamy riverside town of Paris is postcard perfect. The downtown embodies a number of architectural styles—Victorian, Edwardian, Gothic, and Post Modern—but Paris is renowned for its cobblestone buildings, including two churches and 10 residences that are still in use today. The open-air cafés, bakeries, award-winning restaurants, and the blend of history and modern amenities make this small town truly unique.
Elora sits on a stunning gorge alongside the banks of the Grand and Irvine Rivers. The 80-foot (24.3-meter) limestone cliffs, gushing waters, romantic old mill, and stone storefronts of this town make it an ideal place to spend the weekend at a cottage for fun as well as natural beauty. Elora has plenty of outdoor activities and its own music festival called Riverfest. Over time, Elora has maintained its historical allure, and the century-old buildings have been transformed into galleries, gift shops, artists studios, and restaurants.
Picton lies in another one of Ontario’s wine regions, Prince Edward County. Picton’s Main Street has all the small town attractions, bakeries, tea shops, a theatre, historical landmarks, and shops. Prince Edward County’s countryside, farmhouses, famous vineyards, and Sandbanks Provincial Park are close by, so you will have plenty of things to do and access to wine and cheese galore.
Founded by some Pennsylvania Quakers in the 1820s, the pretty hamlet of Sparta retains its historical connection to the past. Visit the Ye Olde Forge and Anvil Museum to see artifacts from the past, and for a truly quaint afternoon, head to Sparta House Tea Room. Their vast collection of teapots are sure to delight avid tea drinkers.
The serenity of Port Hope offers city dwellers and tourists some colorful respite and heritage beauty. The Ganaraska River weaves its way through this picturesque heritage town. As it boasts waterfront nature trails, a sandy beach, a historic downtown, quaint villages, and scenic country driving routes, any amount of time here is time well spent.
Scenes from the hit television show Gilmore Girls were filmed on Unionville’s lovely Main Street. This fact is hardly surprising, as Unionville’s picture-perfect charm gives it the feel of a movie set. This pleasant little town, founded in 1794, exudes old-world vibes. From arts and culture to shopping and dining experiences, or sampling freshly made fudge at The Old Firehall Confectionery, there are plenty of activities in which visitors can indulge.
Like England’s Stratford-upon-Avon, Ontario’s Stratford also lies upon the Avon River and is renowned for its theatrical productions and in particular, showcasing the plays of William Shakespeare. Apart from being a cultural hub for the performing arts, beer and cheddar are also highlights here, along with the town’s swans. If that doesn’t float your boat, you can play a game of golf, relax in a spa, explore the old-world downtown or check out some of the trails and gardens.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.