Once known as the city of romance, Montreal is becoming one of the most family-friendly destinations in Canada. There’s the kid-friendly Montreal Science Centre, year-round ice skating at Atrium Le 1000, rollerblading along the St Lawrence River, as well as stargazing at Rio Tinto Alcan Planetarium. Another perk for families, the transit system here is now free for children under 11. Here are the best Montreal hotels for families, all bookable via Culture Trip.
Novotel Montreal checks all the boxes if you’re seeking a family hotel in Montreal. Children, from little tikes to teens, can let off steam in the sports room that’s open 24 hours daily, or watch a hockey game or concert at the nearby Bell Centre. The modern decor of the superior rooms, suitable for a family of four, will please grown-ups, with their soothing shades of sage, soft gray and tree-patterned feature walls. So will the Restaurant L’O, which offers a children’s menu and booster seats along with wine by the glass in a sophisticated setting. An in-room entertainment system includes children’s TV programming.
Made from three townhouses knocked into one boutique hotel, Chateau Versailles is filled with original features from ornate in-room fireplaces to moldings and friezes – you can even see photographs of former residents. Tradition continues with the complimentary afternoon tea – if there’s space after the buttery croissants and sugary pastries served for breakfast. Modern-day vacationing families can book the babysitting service and a complimentary children’s playpen. The deluxe two queen room is ideal for a family of four, with custom wood furnishings adding a homey touch and a bath and shower for easier bedtimes.
If the charming location in cobblestoned Old Montreal doesn’t win you over, the soothing suites with balconies or terraces (sometimes both), electric fireplaces, and lively pops of color will. If you can get time out, sign up for a yoga class or pound the treadmill. Dining should be a cinch as the restaurant Oskar serves kid-friendly brunch options, including the popular chicken and waffle. For kids’ entertainment, there’s the daily technologically enhanced Aura Light Show right next door at the historic Notre-Dame Basilica.
Foodie families will love that French fine-dining restaurant Maison Boulud is part of this hotel in one of Montreal’s historic buildings. Grown-ups favor the spa with waterfalls, fireplaces and an indoor saltwater pool while kids typically head to the indoor rooftop pool. Light-filled suites feature wooden floors, fireplaces and separate living areas – the signature queen sleeps four with two bathroom sinks, so toothbrushing with two kids becomes easier. You’re 2mi (3km) from the Vieux Port de Montréal, which stretches for more than a mile along the St Lawrence River – the perfect pre-dinner family walk.
This 950-room grande dame houses a lot of family-friendly elements. Kids can participate in a treasure hunt, watch movie screenings on weekends, or sign up for a pizza workshop – plus there’s always pool time. The children’s menu includes mac and cheese, grilled mini burgers and chicken nuggets. The family-suitable Saint Henri Suite is a large two-bedroom option with two bathrooms, a dining-room and kitchenette – the Aegean blue walls, Pop art and a mid-century modern vibe should please everyone. The hotel is connected to the underground city, with more than 20mi (32km) of underground pedestrian walkways, shops and attractions.
A six-minute walk from the shops at Eaton Centre and the art exhibits at Musee d’Art Contemporain de Montreal, Le Square Phillips makes your family vacation in Montreal easier with high chairs and bookable babysitting services. There are three types of suites at this downtown hotel: one- and two-bedroom, as well as family, which includes a kitchen. Suites feature a multi-media station that allows you to view your vacation photos, videos and add music to your digital vacation-in-Montreal albums. In your downtime, workout in the indoor pool or gym, or head to the rooftop terrace for scenic views.
Consider the deluxe one-bedroom suite at the Four Seasons, sleeping four with two children tucked up in the sofa bed in the living area, a free-standing oval tub, in addition to another half bathroom. Other family-friendly amenities include in-suite movie nights, popcorn glamping in your suite, and babysitting. Peek at the city below through feature floor-to-ceiling windows. You’re a five-minute walk from the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and the concierge will also arrange city tours in a classic convertible – that’s one for the family album.
Hotel Le Crystal is both a family-friendly stay and one of the boutique hotels in Montreal, offering suites and apartments in the Golden Square Mile. Everyone will love the indoor saltwater pool that’s monitored by a lifeguard with life vests and water toys available. Sleek suites with kitchen/dining areas mean space to spread out and play or rest. Family-friendly offers include in-room movie rentals with chips, popcorn and gummies.
For more accommodation options, check into one of the best hotels in Montreal – bookable on Culture Trip. Alternatively, live life like you’re Quebecois by seeing where to stay in Montreal for a local experience. Still haven’t found your ideal hotel in Canada yet? Book one of the country’s best budget hotels now, via Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.