Écomusée du Fier Monde
The Écomusée du Fier Monde, housed in a former public bath, is a stunning example of 1920s architecture. Tracing the industrial revolution and the origins of Plateau Mont-Royal, the museum allows you to reflect on the community’s history and social issues. The permanent exhibition showcases the daily life of the area’s working-class residents and grassroots groups.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Barbossa (formerly Blizzarts) is a popular party destination for Plateau Mont-Royal residents and Montreal in general. Perfect for a quiet drink or a dance, it’s a great mix between a lounge and a club. Local up-and-coming DJs perform here, with different nights of the week offering different music genres.
With a pub-like atmosphere, Le Sainte-Élisabeth is worth visiting for the terrace, which is surrounded by towering, ivy-covered walls that provide a relaxing setting, especially during the summer months. You can also admire the beautiful garden from the glassed-in terrace on the second floor. Happy hour offers delicious cocktails and craft beers, making it a popular place to mingle with friendly locals.
Le Lab Comptoir à Cocktails
If you’re a cocktail enthusiast, Le Lab Comptoir à Cocktails is a must. Founder, owner and mixologist Fabien Maillard has more than 15 years’ experience. A master of his art, he won Top Shelf Barman in 2014 and third-best International Bar Leader in 2010. Gabrielle Panaccio, who works with Fabien as director and owner, is a trusted mixologist, too, willing to shake up any classic or drink of your choice. Expect a dimly lit speakeasy with skilled bar staff.
Dieu du Ciel
If you’re into microbrews, then add Dieu du Ciel to your list. It offers a wide selection of house brews and exotic imports, making it the perfect place for beer lovers. One favorite is the slightly acidic, gorgeous-smelling Rosée d’Hibiscus, a wheat beer that gets its rose coloring from the hibiscus flowers added during the brewing process. Aside from the beer, the venue has a lively and vibrant atmosphere – reason enough to make a trip.
The Rialto Theatre concert and event venue, a National Historic Site of Canada, was once a movie palace. It was built in 1923-4 by Montreal architect Joseph-Raoul Gariépy, who was inspired by the neo-baroque style of the Palais Garnier in Paris. With ornate architectural details, this Montreal landmark is a must-see. Visit the theater’s website for more information on live performances.
Mtelus’s (formerly Métropolis) started life as a skating rink. Since then, the venue has been a theater, a cinema and the victim of two fires since opening its doors in 1884. It’s now the home of great live music, hosting concerts by the likes of David Bowie, Prince, Beck, Radiohead and Björk, and among Montreal’s best venues, with a capacity of 2,300.
Bagg Street Shul
Built in 1921, Bagg Street Shul is Quebec’s oldest synagogue still operating and recognized as a heritage site by the province’s Minister of Culture and the City of Montreal. While it’s a plain brick box from the outside, you’ll find beautifully carved and intricate decor inside. Bagg Street Shul is a popular spot on tours around the city, including those run by Marko Kulik, an experienced Montreal photographer.
If you want to relax a bit in Plateau Mont-Royal, Parc Sir-Wilfrid-Laurier is a stone’s throw from Laurier metro station. Regularly frequented by Montrealers, it’s a peaceful escape from the city’s bustling tourist crowds, with a lush garden and an array of large, shady trees. The park also has a soccer field, two baseball fields, a public swimming pool, a horseshoe pit, a dog park and a playground. If you’re visiting during the summer, you can also catch one of its outdoor movie screenings.
The Saint-Jean-Baptiste Roman Catholic church, designed by Alphonse Raza, opened in 1875. It has been destroyed by fires and rebuilt several times. Today, the interior is in a baroque-revival style with stained-glass windows. Visit the church to learn about its history and admire its beautiful architecture. Concerts regularly take place here, and guided tours are available during the summer.
Mile End Food Tour
As well as being known for its artistic flair, Mile End is recognized as one of Montreal’s top foodie destinations. Discover the neighborhood from an insider’s perspective on a guided walking tour, discovering the best restaurants and cafes in the area. From locally raised meats at Boucherie Lawrence to vegan treats at La Panthère Verte, the eateries in Mile End cater to every palate. Don’t miss St-Viateur Bagel for a taste of an authentic Montreal-style bagel. Tours are run by the likes of Local Montréal Food Tours; alternatively, explore at your own pace on a self-guided tour.
Cinéma du Parc
What better way to spend a rainy day in Plateau Mont-Royal than catching a movie at an independent cinema? Cinéma du Parc is an underground theater showcasing rare and international films, from classics starring Hollywood heroes to foreign features worth the subtitles. There are also midnight showings. Decked out with cafeteria-like tables and old-fashioned seating, it is like stepping into a time machine. There’s also a mezzanine art gallery – a free exhibition space for independent artists.
Additional reporting by Emma Gibbins
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.