From east to west, cities in Canada have personality and captivating stories to discover. Each urban destination has a unique charm during the winter. However, come summer, and the cosmopolitan cityscapes have a life of their own.
Endless festivals, the best food and drink of patio season, outdoor activities, beaching, hours by the countless lakes, enclaves of culture, art, history and so much more await you in the warmer months. These Canadian city escapes are perfect for a break over summer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Toronto’s ever-changing skyline along the banks of Lake Ontario is home to vibrant street culture, some of the country’s best cuisine, a burgeoning theatre scene and fascinating museums and art galleries. Despite being one of the largest cities in North America, Toronto is defined by its neighborhoods, each locale adding to the diversity for which the city has become so famous. As well as arts, food, music, and style, Toronto has lots of activities such as paddleboarding, biking around on the islands and many trails and hikes just over an hour or so away for those that love the outdoors too.
Discover a bit of everything in the capital of Canada. Ottawa has its fair share of historical charms. The city center has some spectacular Gothic architecture, seen best on Parliament Hill and by walking along the UNESCO World Heritage canal on a warm sunny day.
If you fancy experiencing the city’s trendier side, then head to Westboro’s tree-lined streets where you can shop and eat at Ottawa’s hippest spots all while enjoying scenic views of the Gatineau Hills. The thriving culinary scene will please foodies, and beer lovers can rejoice, with the craft brews here being a local delicacy. If you want something a bit more outdoorsy, biking, paddling, or birdwatching, for example, Ottawa has plenty in store.
Canada’s former capital is a joy in the summer. The city’s downtown has one café after another, restaurants, ice creameries, shops and other little outlets where you can eat your fill of delicious food and purchase just about anything. Spend your days here sailing around the 1000 Islands or exploring Fort Henry. There are lots of pubs, late-night venues and classical architecture to fill up your Instagram feed.
Vancouver, British Columbia
This maritime city takes the prize for being one of Canada’s most stunning. In between the sea and the Canadian Rockies, there’s an exciting and energetic vacation just waiting to happen. Summer in Vancouver gives visitors a selection of cultural and adventurous options. The attractions range from beaches and water activities to local markets and parks to exploring the different neighborhoods of the city. With its numerous green spaces, glittering downtown and vibrant food scene, it’s easy to see why everyone loves this beguiling coastal city.
Victoria, British Columbia
Although it’s one of the smaller urban destinations, Victoria is the breathtaking jewel on this list, and there’s plenty to see and do here on a warm summer’s day. Known as the City of Gardens, it has a fascinating history rooted in an Indigenous culture that goes back thousands of years, and British and Asian traditions since the mid-1800s. These influences are visible throughout the city’s architecture, heritage sites, museums, gardens, galleries, markets and cultural celebrations.
The largest city in Alberta is well placed and often functions as a gatekeeper for the Rocky Mountains and destinations such as Jasper or Banff, but Calgary is brimming with attractions, architecture, and entertainment. Culture is a thriving cause here, with each community coming together to champion what they are most passionate about.
As microbreweries bloom, the local artistic community fuels the city’s contemporary art scene, and chefs commit themselves to creating locally sourced menus. Museums educate visitors on a variety of things, including the science of sound at Studio Bell. If you can plan your visit during the 10-day summer festival Calgary Stampede, then all the better. This colossal rodeo party lassos almost one million visitors every year with its flannel shirts, cowboys, parades, and concerts.
Montréal, the largest city in Québec, lies on an island in the Saint Lawrence River. Named after Mt. Royal, the triple-peaked hill in the center of it all, the city is renowned for its French-Canadian cultural blend. Winter in the city is magical, but during the summer, almost everyone is outdoors. Warm weather unlocks Montréal’s old-world charm, creative flavors and festival season. Old Montréal becomes the essential location for a wander along cobbled streets and visits to historic bars and restaurants.
The rest of the city is full of other temptations, a spirit for partying, a superb network of cycle lanes, a palate for international cuisine, and an energetic, artistic community, and beautiful parks—Mount Royal, in particular—come with views across the city. Whether you’re a foodie, contemporary art lover or vintage shopper, an avid city cyclist or culture vulture, Montréal has much to offer you.
Québec City, Québec
For a fairytale destination brimming with old-world charm reminiscent of European cities, head to Québec City. For over 400 years, globetrotters have flocked to its cobblestone streets to explore North America’s only remaining fortified city north of Mexico. In Canada’s oldest city, travelers can experience the past by taking a horse-drawn carriage alongside stone walls that have been around for centuries, their path illuminated by gas lanterns. There are also nightclubs, stylish restaurants, delicious wine, terraces for people-watching, late-night eats, or other local treats such as the Crépuscule, a free circus show on the riverbanks of the St. Lawrence that runs in late summer.
A summer break in Halifax is all about feasting on local in-season produce and washing it all down with liquid concoctions from award-winning breweries, distilleries, and vineyards. The city has more pubs and clubs than almost any other city in Canada, so you’re in for a good time. Nova Scotia’s capital is in a great location that will let you explore many of the region’s other attractions. The iconic Peggy’s Cove and port town of Lunenburg are easily accessible from here.
Halifax, NS, Canada
Find places to stay with our partner, Hotels.com
St. John’s, Newfoundland & Labrador
St. John’s bright oceanfront is tailor-made for fun in the sun. This colorful city has a lively arts scene and buzzing culture but remains mellow enough to be an idyllic escape for foodies and music-loving sightseers. The heart of the city is renowned for its Victorian architecture, vibrant row houses, and heritage shops. If history is your jam, then visit Signal Hill National Historic Site (the reception point of the first transatlantic wireless signal) and The Rooms, home to provincial archives, an art gallery, and museum. To party those summer nights away, head to bustling pubs and bars on George Street, but if you want an awe-inspiring encounter with nature, book an iceberg excursion.
St. John’s, NL, Canada
Find places to stay with our partner, Hotels.com
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.