Nova Scotia in Canada is one of the world’s best destinations for witnessing the stars in all their splendor, with North America’s darkest skies and brightest stars. These are the most magical Nova Scotia hotels for stargazing, all bookable on Culture Trip.
Nova Scotia in Canada boasts some of North America’s most spectacular night skies. The Acadian Skies and Mi’kmaq Lands region in the southwest of the province is one of only four places in the world to have been awarded a Starlight Reserve and Destination designation by the International Starlight Foundation. From quaint inns in historic small towns to romantic wellness retreats, these are some of the best places to stay if you want to experience the beauty of Nova Scotia’s night skies.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Set on the shores of Yarmouth on the Evangeline Trail, this inn is ideal for couples in search of romantic small-town charm in one of the province’s best stargazing destinations. The interior is designed to take guests on a journey through history, with each of the seven suites themed to represent a different era. The 1900 Grand Victoria Queen Room features a rich burgundy palette and period furnishings, while the 1940s Mommy Dearest Queen Room evokes the glamour of 1940s Hollywood. Or, take a trip to the 60s in the 1960 Vandyke Queen Room, which boasts brick walls and earthy tones inspired by Danish Modernism and the set of The Dick Vandyke Show.
This charming 1860s farmhouse in the historic town of Canning is perfectly located to explore the Bay of Fundy and the Annapolis Valley. One of the highlights here is the home-cooked, three-course Nova Scotian breakfast, which is served in the dining room surrounded by pressed tin ceilings and an original wide pine floor. Start with yogurt parfait with homemade granola and freshly cooked scones, followed by hot dishes such as the Nova Scotia Apple Delight, or fluffy eggs with local apples sprinkled with sugar and served with local maple syrup and blueberry sauce. Planning a longer stay? Book The Loft, an apartment with a private entrance and deck, as well as a kitchen and access to the shared fire pit and barbecue.
Conveniently located close to the Wedgeport Starlight viewing platform and the Wedgeport Nature Trail, Auberge Thon Jaune is a picturesque white weatherboard home in the seaside town of Wedgeport, overlooking Chebeck Bay. There are two bedrooms – a queen suite and a king suite – which can be rented individually, or guests can choose to rent the entire home, which boasts a private sauna and spa. Alongside stargazing, Wedgeport is known as the Tuna Capital of the World, and there are plenty of opportunities for sports fishing and exploring the surrounding Tusket Islands.
There’s no better way to experience Nova Scotia’s dark skies than immersing yourself in the region’s natural beauty at Trout Point Lodge. Billed as Nova Scotia’s premier luxury wilderness resort and hotel, the lodge is nestled into a secluded location in the UNESCO Southwest Nova Scotia Biosphere Reserve in the Tobeatic wilderness (40 minutes from Yarmouth). Every room, lodge and cottage boasts river views, and activities range from guided stargazing and cooking classes to a relaxing outdoor barrel sauna and wood-fired hot tub. Another highlight is the daily-changing gourmet four-course dinner, featuring dishes like New London mussels with white wine foam.
Planning a family holiday to Nova Scotia? Mersey River Chalets & Nature Reserve offers a wide range of accommodation types to suit groups of all sizes, from a spacious log house overlooking Harry Lake that sleeps up to 11 guests, to a mix of small and large chalets. More adventurous guests will love the tipi village, a collection of three tipis and two wall tents that are furnished with comfy beds and have access to a shared kitchen or barbecue. The family-friendly destination is also set up with plenty of activities for kids, including kayaking, a playground, lawn games, and snowshoe trails.
This collection of chic cottages is perched on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean at St Margaret’s Bay, just a three-minute drive to the renowned Peggy’s Cove lighthouse. Each pretty weatherboard cottage is furnished with a maritime theme – think starfish wall decorations, reclaimed oars, and cabin-style lighting – and most boast fully equipped kitchens and cozy fireplaces. Fancy exploring the waters? The cottages are just steps away from the pristine Clifty Cove, a sheltered inlet where you can set off on a kayaking adventure to explore the surrounding islands.
Built in 1928, The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites has been welcoming visitors to downtown Halifax for more than 90 years – and the elegant interiors pay tribute to the glamour of a bygone era with sparkling crystal chandeliers, intricate woodwork, plush carpets, and a grand piano. For the best views of the night sky, you’ll need to head away from the city lights. Make a day of it with a road trip along the Eastern Shore. Stop in at Lawrencetown Beach, stroll the boardwalk along Salt Marsh Trail, and then head to Martinique Beach to take in the skies. If you happen to be visiting in August, you might even be treated to the spectacle of the Perseids, a meteor shower that blazes across the sky.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.