With a large university population and diverse immigrant communities, it’s not surprising Montreal offers a wealth of affordable food options to match any taste. Culture Trip has compiled some of the tried-and-tested dining highlights from around the city that won’t leave a hole in your bank balance.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Thali is a favorite haunt of Concordia University students, as it is located near the school at the busy downtown junction of Rue Saint-Marc and Rue Sainte-Catherine. The restaurant has built up a strong reputation over the years by delivering its namesake meal quickly, in healthy portions and with solid pricing. In addition to Indian culinary classics, the straightforward eatery offers a range of fruit lassis, as well as desserts such as rich kulfi ice cream. Diners can expect a full thali meal, which includes three vegetarian choices, plus a naan and basmati rice, for CA$12 (US$8.70), or tandoori chicken and a naan starting at CA$8 (US$5.80).
Located on Rue Saint-Viateur, in the center of Montreal’s Portuguese district, Romados is a much-loved location, built around takeouts and quick bites. Rich, seasoned rotisserie chicken is the specialty here, with a steady stream of patrons lining up for quick-fire orders throughout the day. True to its Portuguese heritage, a small pastry counter is also open, serving fresh pasteis de nata custard tarts. Combos (meal deals) typically include crispy, coarse salt fries and an entire chicken for CA$13 (US$9.45). If you’re looking to dine in, be patient – seating is available, but it’s somewhat limited.
Conveniently located on Avenue Duluth, just a short stroll from the Parc du Mont-Royal, Café Santropol is a staple for affordable, healthy meals near the heart of the city. This is one of the best options in town for a well-priced vegetarian or vegan lunch. Santropol favorites include hearty, creative sandwiches and salads available for CA$8 (US$5.80), as well as filling chillies, soups and vegan sweet treats. A range of drinks light up the summer menus, with zesty lemonades and iced teas being lifesavers after a long walk around the plateau at Mont-Royal. A busy spot, the cafe still manages to provide ample seating.
Vua is a well-known Vietnamese sandwich chain in Montreal, with several downtown locations. The outlet on Avenue-du-President-Kennedy has an airy, comfortable feel, from their corner location within the Axa Center office block. Here, you can custom-build a bánh mì with crispy pork, chicken or vegetarian fillings, plus spicy sauces. Extras such as sesame balls, meat skewers and bubble tea are also available, with plenty of seating options so you can take in the hustle and bustle in the city center. It offers discounts after 7pm, when a full-sized Vietnamese sandwich will set you back about CA$8 (US$5.80).
Quebec has always had a love affair with fried food, especially when it comes to juicy burgers, crunchy fries and proud servings of Canada’s famous poutine. Patati Patata adds an extra dose of comfort to this tradition, occupying an unassuming but highly regarded space on Saint-Laurent. Expect fresh takes on fried classics, served with salads, ideal for brisk brunch clients looking to satisfy morning cravings after a night on the town. It can be a tough place to find a seat at peak periods, but solid draft beer and a range of burger and poutine meals starting at CA$8 (US$5.80) make it a neighborhood favorite.
Blink and you’ll miss it. This tiny spot near Mile End’s core has become a dependable option thanks to its takeaway street window for hungry customers in warmer months. Drogheria Fine’s undisputed champ is its perfectly cooked gnocchi, the delicate, soft nature of which it credits to gentle cooking in a savory tomato sauce. Served in takeaway Chinese food containers, and topped with chilli flakes and Italian cheese, this wholly satisfying meal only costs CA$5 (US$3.60). They often sell out, though, so come early.
St-Viateur Bagel and Café Mont-Royal
Part of the city’s famous duopoly of bagel royalty, and a separate location to the original premises on St-Viateur, St-Viateur Bagel, set right on Avenue Mont-Royal, is the ideal place to enjoy this Montreal staple in a relaxed setting. This café is s brunch and lunch favourite, serving straightforward but highly satisfying cream cheese and salmon on chewy all-dressed, sesame and poppyseed bagels. Rarely overcrowded, it offers a refuge from the busy streets of the Plateau neighborhood. A filling bagel meal with a satisfying coffee on the side comes in at about CA$10 (US$7.25).
For many, poutine is something that’s perfect in its simplicity, with wholesome fries, gravy and squeaky cheese curds, especially on a chilly day. La Banquise has built up a reputation as one of the finest poutineries in Canada, offering an impressive range of options, from turkey and stuffing to Mexican-style and Caribbean extras. Located close to the fountains and green spaces of Parc La Fontaine, the restaurant has ample interior seating, making it a convenient option when cravings strike. The portions are enormous and, for just under CA$12 (US$8.70), make a very hearty meal for most budgets.
Fondue Chinoise Express
This tucked-away spot in the upper levels of the Faubourg Mall, right beside Concordia University, dishes out bowls of noodles of exceptional quality and in generous quantities. It’s part of a collection of hidden Asian gems in this often-ignored complex, so expect perfectly cooked noodles, rich, tasty broth and a good selection of meat and vegetable additions. Prices are another reason Fondue stands out: you’ll only be paying CA$10 (US$7.25) for a huge portion.
Montreal has occasionally been singled out by foodies for lacking good, affordable options when it comes to Mexican restaurants, but St-Henri’s Tacos Frida is a keen challenger. The staff serves up house tacos in abundance, with fresh ingredients. It’s also excellent value,with three tacos and a soup costing CA$10 (US$7.25). Refreshing agua de jamaica, hibiscus water, and a fun selection of Mexican sweets are welcome touches, in both the original St-Henri location and the newest branch in the Village.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.