Montreal bagels are famous across North America – and for good reason. Sweeter and smaller than their New York counterpart, Montreal bagels are soaked in honey and baked to perfection in wood-fired ovens before being enjoyed on their own or smeared with cream cheese. These are the absolute best bagel bakeries in Montreal, from the Southwest to St-Viateur Street.
You can find Montreal bagels at just about any breakfast restaurant in the city, but to get them fresh out of the oven, you have to go straight to the source. A lot of bakeries in the city have upheld the traditional Montreal bagel recipe, while some also experiment with different sizes, ingredients and toppings for a more modern take on the classic bread. Whether it’s classic sesame or something more adventurous, you really can’t go wrong with a steaming hot bagel.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Quite possibly the oldest bagel bakery in the city, Fairmount Bagel opened its doors in 1949, and has been providing the city with fresh, warm bagels every morning since. Fairmount does the classic sesame well, but the bakery also touts an impressive variety of options, from the chocolate chip to the blueberry – making the bagel establishment a great option for those with a sweet tooth. The bagels are available to go, always served straight from the oven with the option of a spread of classic cream cheese. Fairmount Bagel is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Competing with Fairmount for best bakery in Plateau Mont-Royal is the St-Viateur Bagel Shop. Also open 24/7, St-Viateur is a landmark destination serving delicious Montreal-style bagels. As with Fairmouth, this is not a place to have a sit-down brunch, but who needs seats when the food is so tasty?
Bagels on Greene
Although the name may suggest otherwise, Bagels on Greene is not a bagel-specific establishment. In fact, it serves up a lot of breakfast and lunch options, from sandwiches and lunch boxes to bagel platters for parties and healthy vegan dishes. This is a great option for anyone looking for a filling breakfast. Order a classic sesame or poppy-seed bagel topped with anything from roast beef and curry chicken to brie with grilled vegetables or vegan schnitzel.
Bagel St. Henri
While there may be a lot of great breakfast options in Saint-Henri, Bagel St Henri is the only one doing fresh Montreal bagels. The tiny breakfast joint in the West End of the neighborhood is both cozy and inviting, serving up a German rendition of the classic Montreal variety, which is smaller in size, but thicker and fluffier than a traditional bagel. Both bakery and breakfast joint, customers are invited to select their bagels, grab a seat and enjoy a hot breakfast with their morning coffee.
Nosherz backstory came from the dedication of a single man. What started with a bagel salesman named Solly, who sold bagels door-to-door, became one of Côte Saint-Luc’s most well-loved institutions. Here, customers will find a variety of fresh baked goods, but the most popular by far remains their cheese bagel, a cheesy take on Montreal’s classic. Keep in mind that Nosherz is more of a grab-and-go deli than a sit down restaurant, but the variety of spreads and toppings makes it conducive to packing for a picnic at neighboring Yitzhak Rabin Park.
MTL Bagel Shop
Another Côte Saint-Luc institution, owner Glen Spence has been serving up hot Montreal bagels for more than two decades. Bagels are available individually or by the dozen, and can be enjoyed to go or in the cozy dining space with cream cheese, lox or smoked meat. What’s more, MTL Bagel’s variety of flavors rivals that of a New York deli. From classic sesame and cinnamon to cranberry and coconut, there’s something for every palate, and mixing and matching is half the fun.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.