The east coast of Canada is a truly magical place, and you’ll find unique cultures here that really set these provinces apart from the rest of Canada. Not to mention there are vibrant cities, historic towns, beaches galore and some of the best seafood you’ll ever have! Start planning your trip with a look through our picks for the area’s best road-trip routes.
Trans Canada Highway
The Trans Canada Highway will take you on the most direct route straight through Eastern Canada. Hop on the highway in Montreal and drive straight through to St. John’s, Newfoundland – with a ferry ride in between the mainland and Newfoundland of course.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Eastern Townships, Quebec
A drive through the historic Eastern Townships is like stepping into another world. A journey around these beautiful little towns, located in southeastern Quebec just two hours from Montreal, makes for the perfect mini road trip.
The Gaspésie Tour, Quebec
If you’re looking for a longer road trip through Quebec, the Gaspésie Tour is a great one to consider. You can conveniently start your trip in Montreal or Quebec City, and then drive the 1,235 kilometre route around the Gaspé Penninsula. Trust us, the views are worth the gas money.
Iles de la Madeleine, Quebec
Take a week-long trip through the Iles de Madeleine and discover the beauty and charm that these secluded islands have to offer. There are various ways to get to the islands, including a five-hour ferry from Prince Edward Island and cruises from Montreal and Quebec City.
Bay of Fundy Route, New Brunswick
Extend the above route by adding on a drive along New Brunswick’s Bay of Fundy, or make it a trip of its own! You’ll begin in the city of Moncton, and then continue along the coast, past highlights like Hopewell Rocks, wineries, and of course, the Fundy itself.
Sun & Sand Trail, New Brunswick
Enjoy some of Canada’s warmest beaches with a road trip along New Brunswick’s Gulf of St. Lawrence coast. You’ll drive the length of the coast and enjoy the many beautiful beaches and parks along the way.
Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia
One of the most stunning routes in all of Canada, Nova Scotia’s Cabot Trail has earned itself international recognition for its unparalleled beauty. Running along the Cape Breton coastline, this trail is especially popular in the fall when visitors come from far and wide to admire the fall colours.
The Chowder Trail, Nova Scotia
Foodies will love Nova Scotia’s Chowder Trail, which runs the full length of the province from Yarmouth to Louisbourg, and makes stops along the way at 10 restaurants, serving up some of Nova Scotia’s best chowders. It’s a great way to enjoy delicious food and take in all that the province has to offer.
Coastal Drives, Prince Edward Island
Prince Edward Island is roughly divided into three sections, so there are three coastal drives you can make: North Cape Coastal Drive, Central Coastal Drive, and Points East Coastal Drive. Each route is beautiful and full of fun attractions, gorgeous beaches, amazing restaurants, and so much more. Luckily, the island is small enough that you can easily fit all three drives into your vacation.
The Loop’s East Coast Route
We love this route that The Loop put out, which covers all the hot spots in the Maritime Provinces. It’s the perfect way to see the best of these three charming places.
Viking Trail, Newfoundland
How cool does this trail sound? This route is perfect for nature lovers who want to explore Newfoundland’s wild side. Beginning in Deer Lake and then heading straight to Gros Morne National Park, the route continues along the coast, ending at the island’s northernmost point. Along the way, you’ll encounter unbelievable scenery, quaint fishing villages, and rugged landscapes. It’s also a great jumping off point to visiting Labrador – just catch the ferry over to the Quebec-Labrador border.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.