There is just something special about PEI. The scenery, the people, the food, and the culture come together to create one of the most amazing destinations in Canada, and while it’s hard to narrow down a list of the best island activities, we did our best to pick 11 of our favorites.
It’s not easy picking favorites because there are so many amazing things to do in PEI, but if there is one you absolutely cannot miss, it’s Anne of Green Gables – The Musical. The beloved story of Anne and her adoptive parents have captured the hearts of readers worldwide, and for the past 53 years, the book has been brought to life on stage in Charlottetown. Buy your tickets now (and pack Kleenex).
Cavendish Beach Music Festival
If you find yourself in PEI in early July, join tens of thousands of country music fans for the island’s annual Cavendish Beach Music Festival! Now in its 10th year, the concert has hosted some of the biggest names in country music over the years, including Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Little Big Town, and Taylor Swift.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Spend a day filled with sun, sand, and sea at PEI’s most popular beach. White sand, clear blue water, and views of the island’s signature red sandstone cliffs add up to one of the most beautiful beaches in all of Eastern Canada.
PEI has established itself as one of the premier golf destinations in Canada, and golfers have ample options on the island. While you have many great choices, Links at Cowbush Cove, Dundarave, and Mill River are considered the island’s best.
See the fall colors
PEI is typically thought of as a summer destination, but visiting in the fall is also a great option. The crowds of tourists have dwindled; the leaves are changing, and the whole island lights up with fall colors.
Seeing as the food industry is the most important contributor to the island’s economy, it’s not surprising that the culinary options here are to die for! Don’t leave without filling up on island specialties, including lobster, oysters, mussels, and potatoes. True foodies should check out events and availability of famed local chef, Michael Smith.
Go to a Ceilidh
PEI has a strong connection to its Celtic roots, and one of the best ways to experience this is through a ceilidh! Enjoy a night of fiddle music, dancing, and tons of fun at this traditional party.
You’ll want to spend at least a couple of days in Charlottetown, PEI’s capital and the birthplace of Canada. Explore its many shops and restaurants, and check out the great festivals that take place year-round.
Take a drive
While there are so many memorable activities to do in PEI, one favorite thing is to simply drive along the stunning coastline. The island has three official coastal drives (North Cape, Central, and Points East), and each will dazzle you with unparalleled scenery.
Walk (or bike) the Confederation Trail
The Confederation Trail is a shared-use trail (walking and biking) that came to be after the province’s railway was abandoned in 1989. This beautiful trail runs straight through PEI, tip to tip, and offers visitors a unique way to explore the island.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.