We are about to enter the age of the connected kitchen. That means your oven will soon talk to your fridge, your microwave to your juicer, and all of them will be controlled by your phone.
If cooking has always been a tiresome chore to you, then good news may be on the way. Technology is entering the kitchen, and it’s making measuring, baking, frying, boiling, and even eating easier.
Ben Harris is the CEO and co-founder of Drop, a food technology company that started out with connected kitchen scales and quickly progressed to interactive food recipes, with the eventual goal of building an operating system for the kitchen. He entered this market after he saw a drop in cooking expertise and knowledge.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“The knowledge isn’t being passed down anymore,” Harris tells Culture Trip. “By making an interactive recipe experience, we can see we’re empowering people who can’t boil a pan of water to bake bread and make meals.”
Drop first developed the digitally-connected scales, and planned a whole range of products. But the company soon changed its focus. “We realized how hard it would be to build hardware, so software is the main focus now. It would take us a long time to get ubiquity with hardware, and we had interest from kitchen appliance makers who didn’t have the software.”
Technology has been threatening to enter the kitchen for decades, but the latest software-driven approach promises to make the biggest difference to date. Imagine this scenario – you’re on your commute home and you bring up your interactive recipe app on your phone. The app has access to your smart fridge, so will only give you recipes that you have the ingredients for. You select your app and send it to your oven, which is able to pre-heat at a touch of your smartphone.
That’s just a modest interpretation of the modern connected kitchen, and the potential stretches much further. The car is a similar example. Once carmakers realized your car could also be considered a device for apps, gadgets, and other tech, the possibilities became endless. Nowadays, we’re pretty much driving around in giant computers.
But where will the hub of the kitchen lie? Some appliance manufacturers have begun installing iPad-like devices in the doors of fridges and ovens, but Harris believes the solutions is much closer to the user. “I doubt it will be a screen on the front of a fridge or oven. It will be a smartphone or personal device.” He also says there is “huge potential” for the use of voice in the kitchen, as seen in products such as Amazon’s Echo, although not for cooking.
In early September, Drop signed a deal with Bosch to supply its intelligence to kitchen devices made by the German manufacturer. The partnership will start with Bosch’s Series 8 oven, but will be expanded to other devices in the future. Harris says the deal will be the first of many with appliance manufacturers.
The kitchen, often called the heart of the home, performs an integral role in our lives. Infusing technology into the process brings not only health benefits, but can inspire the next generation that cooking isn’t such a chore after all.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.