Facebook is expanding its language options to include Inupiaq, an indigenous language traditionally spoken in Northern Alaska; Inuktitut, one of the principal Inuit languages of Canada; and Cherokee, an Iroquoian language spoken by the Cherokee Nation.
Facebook has added Inupiaq – a dialect spoken by some 3,000 people in Northern Alaska and the Seward Peninsula – as a language option on the social networking site. It is also currently working to add Inuktitut and Cherokee, according to Facebook spokeswoman Arielle Argyres.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“It’s important to have these indigenous languages on the internet. Oftentimes they’re nowhere to be found. So much is carried through language – tradition, culture – and so in the digital world, being able to translate from that environment is really important,” says Argyres.
To add a language to the site, Facebook opens a community-driven translation ‘portal’ where users can translate bookmarks, action buttons and other functions through crowdsourcing. The translated words are then confirmed in accordance with crowd up-and-down voting.
In March 2017, Facebook opened an Inupiaq ‘portal’, relying on community translators. In January 2018, the Alaska Humanities Forum awarded a $2,000 mini grant towards hiring two fluent Inupiat translators to speed up the process. While it is still a work in progress, Facebook has publicly launched the language offering on its website.
According to the Associated Press, activists see the addition of Inupiaq to Facebook as a “small step against predictions that Alaska’s Native languages are heading toward extinction under their present rate of decline.”
While there are close to 1.7 million First Nations peoples (the predominant indigenous peoples of Canada south of the Arctic Circle), Inuit (the indigenous peoples in the Arctic area) and Métis (people of mixed indigenous and Euro-American ancestry) living in Canada today, just 260,550 report being able to speak an indigenous language well enough to conduct a conversation.
Language shapes the way we think about, and interact with, the world, and ancestral languages are integral to cultural expression and continuity. The decline of indigenous languages in Canada is a product of the country’s history, including a state-mandated residential school system, under which generations of indigenous children were not permitted to speak their mother tongues.
In the United States – another country where cultural assimilation practices have led to the decline of native languages – there are just 11,000 Cherokee speakers out of more than 300,000 tribal members. UNESCO has officially declared the language to be endangered.
Read on to find out more about how Alaska is saving its native languages from extinction, check out the best spots to explore Cherokee and other native tribes’ culture in the American south east, or read our interview series with a new wave of indigenous writers challenging the face of American literature.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.