The music industry has been touched by some remarkable singer-songwriters and performers over the years. Genres like jazz, soul, rock, gospel, and R&B have been transformed by prolifically talented black artists who have altered the course of music. We check out the most renowned black musicians who have revolutionized music worldwide.
Did you know you can now travel with Culture Trip? Book now and join one of our premium small-group tours to discover the world like never before.
American singer-songwriter Prince was a remarkably talented musician that first captured the world’s attention with his numerous album releases in the 1980s. Encapsulating elements of multiple genres, his music is recognized all over the globe and Rock, Blues and Jazz have influenced it. He has collaborated with popular artists such as Alicia Keys and Norah Jones, and is known for his bold stage presence and iconic look.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
An internationally acclaimed musician, who touched the hearts of millions across the globe with his powerful reggae, Bob Marley’s presence in the music industry was near unsurpassed in terms of inspiration. A member of the Rastafarian movement, his music combined the spiritual essence of his religion with powerful lyricism and inspirational messages.
American singer-songwriter Marvin Gaye was a legend of the soul genre and is internationally renowned. A fundamental contributor to the world-famous Detroit record label Motown, and an acclaimed musical artist, Gaye’s contributions are hugely significant to music as we know it. He influenced a whole range of contemporary artists and his work is not only inspirational, it is powerful and noteworthy.
Among his world-famous singles are songs such as ‘Superstition’, and Stevie Wonder’s work is indeed popular all over the globe. Talented and creative, he is associated with Motown and signed to the label by Berry Gordy. He achieved awards for civil rights work in addition to the UN Messengers of Peace prize. Wonder has inspired many artists of the modern era including US rapper Kanye West and remains a powerful force in the music industry.
Soul music pioneer and fuser of R & B, Gospel and Country music, Ray Charles is a legend and was one of the world’s greatest artists. Blind, but beyond talented, the artist is famous for such singles as ‘Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand’ and ‘Kissa Me Baby’ as well as ‘Mess Around’. Known as ‘The Genius’ and ‘The Father of Soul’ Charles’ remarkable talent inspired many musicians and his creativity extended to the many instruments that he touched.
Multi-talented, all-round performer Louis Armstrong had a presence that is world-famous and was known for his influences to Jazz. He was associated with bands such as ‘His Hot Five’ and ‘His Hot Seven’ and ‘The All Stars’, and could popularize music in his style. In the 1930s he broke barriers and was featured in a Hollywood movie. Known for ‘What a Wonderful World’, a world-renowned single, Armstrong truly is one of the greats.
American singer and actress Whitney Houston was incredibly popular in the 1980s and was known for her big voice and unique style. She sang in her local church and was inspired by Gospel as a genre. Clive Davis transformed her career and she is known for such hits as ‘Saving All My Love For You’. She collaborated with Mariah Carey on the single ‘When You Believe’ and her significant contributions to modern music are absolutely undeniable.
Called the ‘Queen of Soul’ and known for her energy and ability to sing multiple genres, Aretha Franklin’s impact on the music genre is unsurpassed. Known for ‘Respect’, her presence is global in the industry and has influenced stars all over the world. She grew up in Civil Rights Movement and sang in her local church, over which her father presided as pastor. In the late 1960s, her career burgeoned and she is known for such sings as ‘Natural Woman’ and ‘Think’.
Nat King Cole
A prolific Jazz pianist and a performer with remarkable talents, Nat King Cole is known had a huge, influential career. He formed the group – the ‘King Cole Trio’ and is known for such singles as the iconic ‘Christmas Song’. He launched a solo career in the 1950s, during which he performed such songs as ‘Unforgettable’, and worked with remarkable stars such as Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald.
An iconic figure, a globally recognized singer-songwriter and known as the ‘Godfather of Soul’, James Brown’s contribution to music is undisputed. A fuser of the Funk ad R & B genres, the artist’s career grew significantly throughout the 1950s, at which time he toured tirelessly. With a stage presence that is unsurpassed, Brown popularized renowned dances of the era. He is known for such singles as ‘Sex Machine’ and ‘Get Up Offa That Thing’.
Known as the ‘First Lady of Song’ or ‘Lady Ella’, a significant contributor to the Jazz genre, Ella Fitzgerald was a remarkable singer. She was discovered by and worked with Chick Webb and his band and rose to fame in the 1930s. Her uplifting tone can be recognized in such singles as ‘Dream A Little Dream of Me’ and ‘Every Time We Say Goodbye’.
Singer and actress Tina Turner was incredibly popular in the 1980s and achieved success with Private Dancer. In spite of suffering domestic abuse from her partner Ike, the Tennessee born singer has influenced many contemporary singers. The singer embarked on a solo career and she is famous for such soundtracks as ‘Goldeneye’ and ‘He Lives in You’. Her career has been huge and her work is globally renowned.
Looking for travel inspiration for your next getaway? Browse our collections of Epic Trips, Mini Trips and Sailing Trips to find your next exciting destination.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.