Doha, Qatar, is a vibrant, multicultural city that sits along the Arabian coastline, providing stunning views across the Persian Gulf towards the United Arab Emirates. This small capital city is also home to diverse districts, from the sky-high towers of downtown West Bay to the glitzy, exclusive developments that make up The Pearl-Qatar.
If you’re looking to stay in the heart of the city, among its towering skyscrapers glinting in the hot midday sun, then head to West Bay. A cluster of imposing residential towers, office blocks and hotels soar above the streets below, and by night, many of the buildings come alive with their glittering light shows. The temperature in Doha can reach 55C (131F). But if the weather permits, start your day by taking a walk alongside Doha Corniche – a waterfront promenade that runs the length of the bay – or find a quiet spot to relax and enjoy the hot sun while reading a book.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This seaside district is a developing and expanding area that was created in the 1980s following a major land reclamation project along the coastline. Since then, dozens of skyscrapers have risen, with plans of expanding. Al Dafna, which neighbours West Bay and could be considered part of the wider West Bay area, is rapidly becoming the new centre of the city and is home to a range of foreign consulates as well as the City Center Mall, among the largest malls in the Middle East. Roam around the shopping centre’s 140,000sq m (1,506,948sq ft) space, and enjoy some retail therapy before ending your visit at one of the mall’s many restaurants.
Known as Doha’s historic centre, Al Jasra is a neighbourhood that is steeped in tradition. The area was named after the Arabic word jasrah (bridge), as the partially submerged rocks on the coastline resemble a bridge. Here, you’ll find several historic landmarks, such as the Old Well and Souq Waqif – among the largest marketplaces in Qatar. As you walk through the narrow passageways of market stalls, you’ll find vendors selling everything from spices and traditional garments to souvenirs. After your round of shopping, visit the Pearl Monument – a famous fountain sculpture – situated at the entrance to the Dhow Harbour. Depicting a large open oyster, it was erected to celebrate Doha’s past as a pearl exporter.
This elite artificial island is set on 4sq km (2sq mi) of reclaimed land just outside Doha. It’s home to an urban development that can house up to 50,000 residents, offering a glimpse into the lavish lifestyle of many Qatari families. Home to luxury apartments, villas, penthouses and townhouses, it also has stunning views of the sea and harbour through the masts of luxury yachts docked in the marina. Take a stroll along the sun-drenched waterfront in Porto Arabia, or relax on one of the island’s beautiful private beaches before stopping by the area’s high-end restaurants and world-class shops.
To reach the marina, hop on a water taxi that runs daily until midnight to get a feel for an exclusive part of Doha. Those looking for food or entertainment options should visit the Medina Centrale, a Mediterranean-inspired town square with a large selection of restaurants, cinemas and shopping.
Lusail is a suburban neighbourhood on the outskirts of Doha. Located north of The Pearl-Qatar, the area is currently expanding and will be able to accommodate 450,000 people when complete. As it’s located farther out of the city, the area rarely sees tourists, making it the ideal place to visit if you’re looking to be surrounded by Qataris. Lusail, which was developed using land reclaimed from the sea, is home to multiple theme parks, theatres and shopping malls.
West Bay Lagoon
Also known as Leqtaifiya, West Bay Lagoon is a residential area made up of villas and low-rise blocks situated inland from The Pearl-Qatar, encompassing the popular cultural village of Katara. The stunning area, which is popular among families due to a large number of available schools, is also well known for its luxurious waterfront villas, which are some of the most expensive in the country.
Al Waab, also known as Al Baaya, is a suburban district and home to some of Doha’s most popular attractions and amenities. If you’re on the hunt for a place with lots of green open space, this is the place for you. Here, you’ll find the beautiful Aspire Park – the biggest park in the city. It’s here where you’ll find some of Doha’s top sports facilities, including the Khalifa International Stadium and Aspire Dome. The family-friendly area also offers lots of activities for children, including the park’s play area, Doha Zoo and Gondolania Theme Park – a large indoor amusement park based inside the mall.
Before you leave the area, head over to the Villaggio Mall. Known for being Qatar’s most popular shopping destination, it boasts more than 200 shops, from luxury brands to high-street chains, as well as an ice rink, bowling centre and 150m-long (492ft-long) canal complete with gondola rides. Towering above the mall is The Torch (or The Aspire Tower), which offers five-star accommodation and fine dining, including Doha’s only revolving restaurant.
This busy and bustling area of Doha lies close to the site of the city’s old international airport. Get a glimpse of the local atmosphere in this popular residential area by walking along Al Matar Al Qadeem Street, also known as Old Airport Street. Have a Qatari sweet at one of the many cafés, or visit The Mall Doha, Qatar’s first shopping centre.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.