The Katara Mosque is situated in the center of the Katara Cultural Village site, where some of the most beautiful architecture in the Middle East is just waiting to be seen. The design of the Katara Mosque is unlike typical mosques in Qatar. The building is a mosaic of predominantly blue tiles, with hints of red and yellow. You will be blown away by the intricate designs and the equally complex interior. Accompanying the mosque are three spiked pillars reaching for the sky. The contrast between these overwhelming structures and the beauty of the mosaic walls is truly striking.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
State Grand Mosque
“Grand” is an apt description of this mosque. The exterior is pleasantly intimidating, with the appearance of an impenetrable fortress, while the interior is awe-inspiring. The domed ceiling is high above your head, with stone white pillars throughout and simple chandeliers dangling above you. The space itself is impressively large, and you will be rendered speechless by the architecture. At night, the mosque’s exterior is particularly beautiful, as it is lit up with purple lights.
The Doha desert
The Doha desert lies mostly untouched, and should be a part of your visit to Qatar. Very little is as stunning as miles and miles of pristine, smooth sand. The beauty of the desert views will leave you feeling small and in awe of the vastness of this unfamiliar landscape. The sand is flawless, the dunes are rolling, and this gorgeous desert landscape can be enjoyed on any desert safari day. Rev your engines and stir up the dust to experience the allure of the desert firsthand.
Al- Zubarah Fortress
In the middle of nowhere, sand stretches ahead of you for miles before this ferocious fortress comes into sight. The fortress’ beauty lies in its lonesomeness, and you can approach it on camel-back at a leisurely pace. As you stand beneath this fortress, you will feel a sense of being connected to an exciting and influential history. To help you understand the history of the fortress better, Al-Zubarah often holds exhibitions of the site. This fortress will have you feeling humbled; you will feel that there is something wonderful about realizing your own insignificance.
Al Jassasiya Carvings
Al Jassasiya is one of the most intriguing sites in Qatar. Its mystery lies in its petroglyphs – intricate and incomprehensible carvings in the stone that are incredibly rare. It is believed that these carvings are signs of some sort, and they feature shapes that represent animals, boats, and daisies. Many of the patterns and signs are not recognizable, and their meanings remain indecipherable. It is believed that these markings are hundreds of years old, making their preservation truly remarkable.
Al Wakra Museum
The Al Wakra museum is a site that has some of the best architecture in Qatar. The exhibits in the museum are quite fascinating and feature ancient artifacts and the details of the history of Qatar. In terms of the museum’s beauty, you will not even feel the need to step inside – just bask in the beauty of this building. This old fortress has an eerie quality to it which is strangely enticing. This mysterious allure will leave you feeling fascinated and in full admiration.
The National Museum of Qatar
The National Museum of Qatar is so complicated in its design that it could almost be mistaken for an origami masterpiece. The white building has sharp and curving edges and, on an architectural level, seems almost impossible. The building is currently under construction and is gradually making the architect’s jaw-dropping design a reality. The museum’s design is inspired by the desert rose, a natural phenomenon formed by crystals in certain climates. The architect believed that the desert rose represented the passage of time, and wanted to embody this idea in the design of the building.
The Barzan Towers feature brilliant architecture, but to fully experience their beauty, you will have to make your way to the top. Once there, feast your eyes on the views. The building itself is quite formidable and beautiful in its own way. Be sure to take a camera; the spot is renowned for being a good place for photography.
This military fortress is located in the heart of Doha and was built in 1927. This fortress was eventually converted into a museum, and now has exhibitions that feature wooden ornaments, old fishing equipment, oil paintings, and old photographs. The fort will make for a pleasant day out if you are looking to understand Qatar’s history and the lifestyles of its occupants a little better. But the most striking element of this fort is its exterior. It is grand and formidable and creates a sense of being surrounded by something eerily powerful. This makes for quite the experience. You will love the sight of this beautifully intimidating building.
The Museum of Islamic Art
The Museum of Islamic Art is located in the heart of a body of still, clear water. As you approach you will cross a bridge across the water and feel yourself being drawn in by the striking appearance of the museum. The white building has sharp, boxed edges, and stands alone on the water. In the sunlight, the museum seems to glow with brightness and its compelling ambiance is enhanced. When you step inside, you will be struck by the intricacies of its interior, which sharply contrasts with the simplicity of its exterior.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.