In Qatar, breakfast is usually a light meal that includes yoghurt, cheese, olives and coffee, while lunch is the main meal, with mezze followed by main courses such as lamb or chicken stews. As for dinner, it is usually a light snack, except during Ramadan or special occasions. Overall, the country’s local cuisine is varied, complete with international influences. Here, Culture Trip has made a list of some of the must-try Qatari dishes.
Did you know you can now travel with Culture Trip? Book now and join one of our premium small-group tours to discover the world like never before.
Saloona is basically spicy meat and/or vegetable broth. It usually contains tomatoes, aubergine, carrots and potatoes. People eat it by itself or with rice.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One of the most popular dishes in any Qatari home is machboos, or Kabsa, which is basically rice cooked with delicious spices and any kind of meat – chicken, lamb, shrimp, camel or fish. It looks similar to biryani.
A Ramadan favourite, madhruba, also known as ‘beaten porridge’, is a combination of rice, milk, butter and cardamom that is cooked together until it becomes mushy. Chicken and other types of meat are stewed along with mashed beans.
Usually made during Ramadan for a dessert-filled evening, this dish is a mixture of butter, milk, flour, sugar, saffron and cardamom. These ingredients are used to create little dumplings, which are then deep-fried and dipped in sugar syrup or honey to increase the sweet factor. Soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside, this dish is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Whole roasted lamb served on a generous bed of rice, vegetables and flavourful nuts create this extravagant dish.
Another Ramadan special and similar to a pot of stew, thareed, often called the Arab lasagna, includes vegetables such as carrots, beans, onions and potatoes cooked with chicken or lamb and mixed with tomato sauce and spices. Bread is placed on the bottom of the dish, soaking up the stew juices and making the bread soft and flavourful.
Kousa mahshi is stuffed zucchini, and it is a favourite all over the Middle East. The zucchini in this international-inspired dish features a stuffing of lamb flavoured with mint and garlic; it is then baked in the oven before being served hot.
Pasta made sweet – this Indian-influenced dish includes fried vermicelli topped with a saffron omelette, making it soft, crunchy, sweet and savoury all at once. People eat it not only for breakfast but also dessert.
This dish is full of fibre and essential vitamins. It’s usually prepared with zucchini, carrots, eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes and tenderised meat. Thin layers of dough are cut into pieces and boiled in the stock so that it can soak up all the flavour.
Also known as harissa, harees is basically boiled, cracked, or coarsely ground wheat mixed with meat. The consistency varies between a porridge and a dumpling. Harees is also considered to be good for your health because of its nutrient content, and it serves as a great way to break the fast at Iftar during Ramadan.
Foul (beans for breakfast), Waraq enab (rice and lamb stuffed in vine leaves), along with appetisers such as hummus, motabel, tabouleh and muhammara are other Arab-influenced foods that have their own variations in Qatar.
Desserts, such as mehalabiya (rose water and pistachio pudding), umm ali (bread pudding with nuts and white raisins), and esh asaraya (cheesecake topped with cream), are also a big part of any Qatari meal.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.