Qatar has over 560km (348 miles) of coastline, with beautiful beaches dotted across the region. And many of these beaches are within easy reach of Doha, the capital city. However, bear in mind that public beaches require women to be covered from their elbows to the knees, which means bikinis are not allowed. Hotels and resorts, on the other hand, do not have a strict dress code. From private resorts to pink sand beaches and hidden bays, here are the best beaches in Doha.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Katara Beach is located in the heart of Doha and is part of Katara Village, a public art and culture development with access to a range of cultural events. Suitable for families, the beach offers plenty of activities including waterskiing, parasailing, kneeboarding and speed boat rides. After spending a day at the beautiful beach, visit the surrounding area for entertainment. Admire art at the galleries, catch a show at the theatre or visit one of the many restaurants for delicious dishes.
Four Seasons Beach
Many of the beaches in Doha are connected to a hotel. But some of them are more luxurious than others, like the Four Seasons Beach. The lavish hotel is home to five pools and a private sand beach with a resort ambience. Get your own cabana and pamper yourself while the attentive staff caters to your needs. Even those who are not staying at the hotel can enjoy the beach by purchasing a day pass and make full use of the facilities.
Umm Bab Beach
Known to the locals as Palm Tree Beach, Umm Bab Beach is another popular spot for families. With its clusters of palm trees dotted along the coastline, the beach has a charming Caribbean feel to it. Toilet facilities are available as is a children’s play area, making it a great choice for camping and longer stays. A small shop is also available if you need to pick up a few things.
Located at the southern end of the Qatari peninsula, Sealine Beach is an unmatched location. You can access the beach as a guest of the resort, which gives you access to the facilities including loungers, umbrellas, the pool, restaurants and other activities. After a day of relaxing by the beach, rent a dune buggy and drive through the desert. Or end your day with a walk along and admire the view of the sand dunes that meet the sea.
Khor Al Adaid should be on everyone’s must-visit locations in the world. Located further south from Sealine Beach, the picturesque sea is one of the few places in the world where the sea meets the sand dunes. Known as the Inland Sea, the secluded natural reserve is recognised by Unesco and can only be reached by travelling in a 4×4 through the desert. If you’re lucky enough to visit during high tide, you’ll get see the dunes gently sloping into the sea, while if you visit during low tide you’ll see a terrain covered by microbial mats that create interesting patterns within the crystal clear water of the inlet.
Al Thakira Beach
This public beach is great if you’re looking for a beach experience that’s less about sunbathing and more about nature. Home to one of Qatar’s largest mangrove reserves, Al Thakira Beach is located less than an hour’s drive north of Doha. Known for its wildlife, this is where locals come to bird-watch, fish and kayak through the mangroves. After unwinding at the beach, roam around the area and visit the nearby shops and restaurant. For the ultimate experience, bring a grill for your freshly caught fish and a camera to take snaps of migrating flamingos.
A fairly short drive from Doha along the west coast, Zekreet Beach is a gateway for postcard views. Located on the edge of the Ras Abrouq Reserve, this rocky, secluded beach is a popular spot for windsurfing and camping and can only be accessed in a 4×4. The striking beach is also famous for its half-moon bay, beautiful rock formations and limestone outcroppings shaped like giant mushrooms. Besides soaking up the sun, you can also explore the archaeological digs and forts, as well as the abandoned film set nearby.
An oceanfront oasis, Simaisma Beach features a luxurious private retreat which includes 52 villas and a spa. A part of the Murwab resort, a stay here gives you access to the sheltered beach and year-round outdoor pool and barbecue as well as watersports activities. The resort also has a Six Senses Spa where you can enjoy a range of signature massages, facials and locally inspired treatments and beauty services. Located just 20 minutes away from Doha, this is ideal for those looking for a tranquil experience close to the city centre.
Banana Island Resort Doha by Anantara
The Banana Island Resort Doha is an island resort with 800m (2,625ft) of private beachfront as well as a 100m (328ft) lagoon pool and a surf pool. A visit to this luxurious resort allows you to partake in activities such as watersports, snorkelling and scuba diving lessons. You can easily reach the island with a 25-minute luxury ferry from Al Shyoukh Terminal in downtown Doha or opt for a quick but more expensive 10-minute helicopter ride. Non-guests can purchase a standard day pass and access the pool and beach area. But you can also spend slightly less and still enjoy some of the activities, as well as luxury boat transfers to and from the resort.
Fuwairit Beach is one of the most popular beaches in Qatar, despite being a fair way out of the city. Its pristine coastline of white and pink sand makes it well worth the drive for locals and tourists alike. A nesting site for hawksbill turtles, the beach is a protected area and is closed during the turtle’s breeding season between April and July. Drive out during the weekend and enjoy the sun rays and the turquoise waters.
Need somewhere to stay on your trip to Doha? Check into one of the best hotels in the city, or opt for a budget-friendly stay. Find out how to spend 48 hours in Doha, and discover Doha’s must-see attractions before visiting one of the city’s top cafes.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.