If you want to really explore the beauty of the Cotswolds, the best way to do it is on foot. Walkers are spoilt for choice here, with relaxing rambles and longer routes taking in picture-perfect villages, lush green landscapes, historic landmarks and local wildlife. We pick the best walks in the area, with welcoming pubs to relax in before or after your trip!
Winchcombe is a hugely popular spot for walkers, and with the impressive views of Sudeley Castle a mile away, it’s not hard to see why. This scenic eight-and-a-half-mile walk takes you up along The Cotswold Way to the Neolithic burial mound of Belas Knap. From here, head west along the atmospheric Cleeve Common until you reach the Single Beech and Iron Age fort, perched high up on the Cotswold Edge. With views as far as Wales on a clear day, it’s worth the trek. Head back down to Postlip, then into Winchcombe for a well-deserved local ale at The Lion Inn.
The Lion Inn, 37 North Street, Winchcombe GL54 5PS, 01242 603 300
This beautiful walk really shows off what the Cotswolds has to offer. Starting off in the picturesque market town of Chipping Campden, head into the leafy tranquillity of Lynches Wood – if you visit in May you’ll be rewarded with one of the area’s best show of bluebells. Carry on up to Dover’s Hill for some breath-taking views, before returning back to town and relaxing with a drink in the garden of The Eight Bells pub.
Eight Bells, Church Street, Chipping Campden GL55 6JG, 01386 840371
This seven-and-a-half-mile walk is the perfect way to explore classic Cotswold scenery and villages. Walking through the lush green of Windrush Valley, alongside the river, you’ll pass ancient ruins, the chocolate box perfection of The Slaughters and truly gorgeous scenery. Starting in Naunton, walk south along Wardens Way. Cross the River Windrush, using the footbridge beyond Aston Farm, turn left onto Macmillan Way, then take Wardens Way through The Slaughters and back to Naunton – and the very welcoming Black Horse Inn!
The Black Horse Inn, Naunton GL54 3AA, 01451 850565
Bourton-on-the-Hill and Batsford Arboretum
Start your walk on the Heart of England Way, where you’ll pass the dazzling Sezincote House – a dramatic Indian palace-inspired country house, well worth a visit if you’re there during visiting hours. From here make your way north through the pretty market town of Moreton-in-Marsh, then across open fields (wellies may be required here!) towards Batsford House. Do try and make time to explore the house and its beautiful arboretum if you can. Rejoin the Heart of England Way and make your return back to Bourton-on-the-Hill and the award-winning Horse and Groom.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Horse and Groom, Bourton-on-the-Hill GL56 9AQ, 01386 700413
There’s no denying the impressive beauty of Blenheim Palace, but don’t overlook the extensive Capability-Brown designed grounds – these are worth a visit in their own right. To get away from the crowds and explore a little further-afield, turn right at the park entrance, down the hill, then follow the track around the lake, over the hill towards the Column of Victory. From here join the footpath through the woods, leading you up the valley past the other side of the lake and the Palace. Such a regal destination deserves a fitting celebration, and the sophisticated, but homely, King’s Arms makes a great place to relax after your walk.
The King’s Arms, 19 Market Street, Woodstock OX20 1SU, 01993 813636
Boasting panoramic views across the Malvern Hills and Black Welsh mountains, The Mount Inn makes an impressive starting (and finishing) point for your walk. The pub’s beer garden is the perfect place to plan your route, or soak up the sunshine – and views – on your return. This eight mile walk follows the Cotswold Way round to Shenberrow Hill (past the Neolithic fort), then Winchcombe Way. From here, loop around towards Snowshill, via Buckland Wood. If time allows, do try and have a stroll around Snowshill Manor and Garden, before heading back through Lidcombe Wood, down the steep hill to Stanway and the final leg along the Cotswold Way to Stanton.
The Mount Inn, Stanton, Near Broadway WR12 7NE, 01386 584316
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.