With some the prettiest countryside in the UK, The Cotswolds is the perfect place to head for a picturesque day out. Pack a blanket, swing by a local farmers’ market or deli, then head to one of these dreamy picnic spots for a memorable al fresco lunch.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With 12 acres of open grassland full of pretty wildflowers as well as stunning panoramic views over the Severn Vale out towards the Malvern Hills and the Forest of Dean, Coaley Peak is an excellent spot to enjoy a picnic on a sunny day. There are plenty of benches and seats, or just bring a blanket and find yourself a quiet spot. Make sure you pay a visit to the fantastic Stroud Farmers’ Market to stock up on picnic supplies. Running every Saturday from 9am-2pm, this is one of the biggest and most popular farmers’ markets in the UK, with an incredible selection of traders.
Minster Lovell Hall
Take a stroll through the picturesque village of Minster Lovell to discover the ruins of Minster Lovell Hall, a 15th century manor house. On the banks of the River Windrush in the most beautiful of settings, this rural idyll is the perfect place to get away from it all and slow down the pace. Throw down your picnic blanket, take in the sights and relax. Witney, just a few miles down the road, holds a brilliant farmers’ market on the fourth Friday of every month, which is a great place to fill your basket with pies, fresh bread, cheese, chutneys and cakes. Otherwise, try the fantastic Wates & Co Delicatessen in the town.
Neigh Bridge Country Park, Cotswold Water Park
Spread out over 40 square miles and with more than 150 lakes set across the Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire countryside, The Cotswold Water Park is packed with excellent picnic locations. However, it’s Neigh Bridge Country Park with its scenic lakeside views and tranquil countryside setting that really brings the charm. Just five miles away you’ll find The Butts Farm Shop, with plenty of home produce to make up a delicious picnic; or head into Cirencester for a huge choice of quality food shops.
Blockley is a real hidden gem of a village. Set in a lush valley surrounded by the distinctive rolling hills of The Cotswolds, it’s a charming place for a summer’s picnic. Find a spot on the banks of the mill stream that winds its way through the bottom of the valley, or head onto the traditional village green, which overlooks the bowling green and pretty Norman Church for a taste of village life. Nearby Moreton-in-Marsh is home to the Cotswold Food Store. Packed full of locally-sourced food and drink, it’s a great place for picnic supplies – plus, it claims to sell the best olives in The Cotswolds!
Blenheim Palace Park
If you plan on spending a day exploring Blenheim Palace, make sure you pack a picnic to enjoy the equally impressive grounds. Surrounded by 2,000 acres of parkland, you’re spoilt for choice when it comes to picking the perfect setting for your al fresco lunch. Some of the park is open to the public at no cost, so you can still enjoy views of the great Palace without the cost. Pre-order a picnic hamper from nearby Hampers Food and Drink in Woodstock, or pop into their deli for a more last-minute affair.
Lay down your picnic blanket at the top of Leckhampton Hill for some unbeatable views across the regency town of Cheltenham. This beautiful nature reserve is home to an array of wildlife – in fact, it’s a must-visit for keen bird watchers – as well as beautiful wild orchids. A visit here wouldn’t be complete without a trip to see The Devil’s Chimney, an unusual rock formation that peaks over the hill. Cheltenham is packed with amazing delis and food shops so you can stock up on everything you need for your picnic – or time your visit to coincide with the lively farmers’ market that is held every second and last Friday of the month.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.