When talking about the Cotswolds, it’s easy to run out of superlatives to describe how beautiful it really is. Famous for its distinctive landscape of green rolling hills, honey-coloured cottages, beautiful woodland, ancient churches and grand manor houses, it can be hard to know where to start when exploring the area. Here are some of the most gorgeous spots the Cotswolds has to offer.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Picture the ultimate, sleepy, traditional Cotswold village and you’ve got Lower and Upper Slaughter. Despite the less-than romantic names (derived from the old English for muddy place; nothing to do with butchery!) these twin villages are as charming and quintessentially Cotswolds as you’ll find. Enjoy a leisurely one-mile stroll along the gentle river that connects the two villages to take in the beautiful scenery.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hidcote Manor and Garden
The Cotswolds is an area spoilt for choice when it comes to beautiful and historic gardens, and the grounds of Hidcote Manor are among the best in the country. This Arts and Crafts garden is made up of a series of outdoor “rooms” for you to explore. The maze of pathways will lead you to dreamy secret gardens, alive with colour and teaming with wildlife. Prepare to fall in love.
Crickley Hill Country Park
Boasting some of the best views in the Cotswolds, Crickley Hill looks out across the Severn Vale, Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains. The rich plant life and wildflowers make this a haven for butterflies and a real treat for nature lovers. The hill also has a fascinating history, with evidence of human activity going back to 4,000 BCE. A café sits at the top of the hill and provides the perfect spot for a cup of tea with some serious views. There’s even an all-terrain mobility scooter available to hire so that the views are accessible to everyone.
Set on the banks of the Rive Coln, this exquisite Cotswolds village is a hugely popular stop-off on the tourist trail – and with good reason. With an interesting history and spectacular views, Bibury has a lot to offer sightseers. Take a step back in time and stroll along Arlington Row, the picturesque row of 17th century weavers’ cottages that make up one of the UK’s most-photographed streets, then wander along the river bank, taking in the sights of the scenic Rack Isle water meadow.
This stunning 600-acre Arboretum is home to over 2,500 different species of tree and is widely regarded as the one of the finest in the world. Lose yourself in the Silk Wood, take in a different perspective along the treetop walk and let the kids have fun with the interactive displays, as well as the ever-popular Gruffalo trail which pops up throughout the year. Westonbirt is a joy whatever the season, from the magnolias in spring to the snowy landscapes of winter. But it’s in autumn that the trees explode with colour, and the Arboretum truly dazzles.
Broadway is another chocolate-box village that’s bursting with Cotswolds charm. The elegant High Street lined with horse chestnut trees is home to grand period houses, golden stone cottages and cosy pubs. There’s even a traditional village green that hosts the annual village fete, a perfect opportunity to experience a real slice of traditional English country life. Take a walk up Fish Hill to Broadway Tower for fantastic views of the village and, if you’re lucky, a glimpse at the elusive red deer that graze there.
Cranham is the starting point for some fantastic walks through some of the prettiest woodland in the Cotswolds. Explore the stillness and calm of the ancient beech forests of Buckholt Wood – even more picturesque in May when the ground is carpeted in fragrant bluebells – then through Cooper’s Hill Wood, which takes you to the foot of the infamous Cooper’s Hill – home to the annual cheese rolling competition, one of the Cotswolds’ strangest traditions.
For stunning panoramic Cotswolds views, take a trip up to Cam Peak. Just a short walk from Cam Long Down, it’s well worth making the effort, as you’ll be rewarded with sweeping views of the Cotswold Escarpment, as well as a landscape of green rolling hills that is so typical of the area.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.