England may not be the first place that you think of when planning a winter getaway, but the colder months are the best time of year to visit if you’re looking to explore the countryside and the cities of this beautiful country. Not convinced? Here are 15 reasons why you should visit England in winter.
There are less visitors
If you visit at any other time of the year, you will find England’s main sights packed full of fellow tourists, but in winter it’s not uncommon to have a beautiful natural landmark to yourself. The same goes for visiting cities; less travellers visit England during the winter months so galleries and museums are likely to be less busy.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
To enjoy crisp winter walks
Frosty mornings give way to the perfect conditions for brisk walks in the countryside. Whether you prefer slowly strolling around quaint villages, hiking up mountains or walking across the moors, winter is the best time of year to get outdoors and soak up the fresh air.
To visit the Christmas markets
From the traditional stalls that line the streets of Bath every year to Manchester’s sprawling Christmas markets that spread throughout the city, England’s streets come to life during December. Most major cities throughout the country host festive markets, with many stall holders travelling from across Europe for a multi-cultural offering.
To admire the moody landscapes
Yes, England’s landscapes are beautiful at any time of year, but there’s a particular allure that comes with the winter months. Literacy lovers will flock to the Pennine moors to evoke visions of Wuthering Heights, while the country’s coastline is especially enchanting on a stormy day.
For cheaper accommodation
Hotels, apartments, B&BS and glamping sites all drop their prices dramatically over the winter months. Not only will you have more choice with fewer tourists to compete with for rooms, but the prices could be slashed by as much as half price giving you options that perhaps could be out of your budget at any other time of year.
To relax in cosy pubs
English pubs are great all year round, but if you want to experience a cosy pub with an open fire, you have to visit during the winter months. There’s nothing better than nipping into a country pub following a long walk to enjoy a pint of local ale beside a roaring fire.
For the beautiful light
The light in winter is very different to any other time of year, offering perfect conditions for landscape photography. Whether you’re blessed with clear skies or you wake up to a misty morning, the sun lying low in the sky helps to create the perfect conditions for capturing beautiful vistas.
Because there’s a chance of snow
It’s never guaranteed, but there’s always the chance of waking up to a flurry of snow during the winter months. If you venture to the Lake District or the Peak District or any other mountainous area, the peaks are usually capped with white for much of the winter months, making a beautiful sight even if you just admire the views from below.
To enjoy the beautiful sunrises and sunsets
If you enjoy admiring spectacular sunsets and sunrises, the conditions are usually perfect during an English winter. Not only are the times of the sun rising and setting more convenient for observing, but the metrological conditions are usually perfect for blazing red skies.
You can visit the many museums and galleries
During a summer visit, you may feel guilty spending your time indoors when the weather is encouraging you to get outdoors. If you visit England during the winter, you can enjoy whole days of visiting the many incredible galleries, museums and theatres without having to debate if you should be making the most of the weather and getting outdoors.
To dine on seafood
Winter is one of the best times of year to dine on fresh seafood in England with scores of fish in season all around the county. Everything from razor clams and cockles to seabass and mackerel are freshly and widely available during the winter, meaning that if you visit a coastal region you can dine like kings on fresh, sustainable seafood.
To spot winter wildlife
Animal lovers will relish a visit to England during the winter for the chance to spot a variety of interesting creatures in the wild. Birdwatchers will delight in watching murmurations of starlings creating spectacular patterns in the sky all around the country, and will also want to keep their eyes peeled at night for sightings of elusive owls. Winter is also the perfect time of year to visit grey seals in places such as Norfolk as this is when the pups are born.
To wrap up warm
England’s weather may be temperamental, but if you’re planning a winter visit at least you know that you need to wrap up warm. Pack a couple of cosy jumpers, a winter coat and woollen hat, scarf and gloves and you’ll be suitably snug and stylish during your trip.
You can stroll around quaint villages
Following a dusting of snow, England’s small villages take on a magical ambiance that conjures up memories of quintessentially British stories. Take that image of Harry Potter’s Hogsmeade during the winter months and compare it to the small villages in the Cotswolds or the Peak District and you won’t be disappointed!
To celebrate the New Year
All across the country, but particularly in London you’ll find an exciting array of celebrations lined up to welcome in the New Year. There’s likely to be fireworks in every town, lighting up the sky with colourful sparks as everyone counts down to midnight.
If winter isn’t your favourite season, perhaps consider visiting England in autumn instead?
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.