A recent reader survey conducted by Rough Guides placed England as the seventh most beautiful country in the world, ranking higher than Iceland, Finland and the USA. If this surprises you, settle back and read over the below reasons why we think England deserved to be named one of the most beautiful places in the world.
All around England you are confronted with spectacular scenery, from luscious forests to rolling hills. Yes, there are plenty of towns and cities that you perhaps wouldn’t class as ‘beautiful’, but they are all surrounded by picturesque countryside that beckons to be explored. If you get outdoors and enjoy the parks, woodlands, moors and hills of England, then you’re never far away from stunning scenery.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The English countryside may be heavily parodied across popular culture, but the visions of quaint villages, pretty rivers and green fields are true in certain parts of the country. If you visit the Forest of Bowland, the South Downs or any other areas of outstanding natural beauty, you will understand why England was voted one of the top 10 most beautiful countries in the world.
Beautiful lakes are scattered all across England, but nowhere are there as many incredible bodies of water as in the Lake District. There are 16 lakes, meres and tarns in the dramatic National Park including Windermere, the largest lake in England. All of the lakes are beautiful in their own way, but Coniston Water and Ullswater are two of the most visually appealing.
Dramatic National Parks
10 of the UK’s 15 National Parks are located within England, providing beautiful landscapes for visitors to explore and admire. The Lake District, Peak District, North York Moors, Yorkshire Dales, Broads, Dartmoor, Exmoor, New Forest, Northumberland and South Downs all feature some of the best scenery in the country, boasting everything from England’s largest lake to its tallest mountain.
There are many noteworthy waterfalls all around England, most of which are located within the National Parks. The Yorkshire Dales in particular is home to many iconic cascades, including Hardraw Force (the tallest single-drop waterfall in England) and Ingleton Falls (a circular trail that takes in a staggering series of waterfalls including the stunning Thornton Force).
The coast of England is dominated with wind-swept sand dunes and dramatic cliffs, providing the perfect place for wildlife spotting, brisk walks and even a spot of swimming in the summer months. Head to Formby in the north-west for wild sand dunes, Old Harry rocks and Durdle Door in Dorset for dramatic structures in the sea, Cornwall for beautiful remote beaches, and the north-east for cliff-top walks.
Traditional towns & villages
England’s towns and cities are a mixed bunch, but among the grey concrete and industrial eyesores you will find a vast variety of beautifully quaint villages and traditional market towns. From stunning cities such as York and Bath to delightful seaside towns such as Whitby and Clovelly, and cute little countryside villages like Castle Combe and Rye; there are a never-ending array of beautiful places to discover.
Planning a visit to England? These are the 13 best Natural Wonders that you should add to your itinerary.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.