The symbolism of Ukrainian embroidery contains a hidden meaning. Not without purpose, locals carefully choose vyshyvanka (the traditional Ukrainian embroidered shirt), since the ornamentation is a coded pattern that serves as a charm. Some of the ornaments protect you from trouble, others give good luck and prosperity. Meanwhile, the randomly embroidered symbol can change your fate or cause distress and anxiety.
All of the ornamentation is conventionally divided into three groups: plant and floral, geometric, and zoomorphic. The latter two are used more rarely. The symbols are also distributed according to the regions of Ukraine. Traditionally, geometric patterns prevail in Western Ukraine, while Southern and Eastern Ukraine are characterized by plant and floral ornamentation. Such a phenomenon can be explained by the varying culture, natural landscapes, and, in some cases, even the mentality of the people.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Plant and floral ornamentation
Flowers, branches, and leaves reflect the purity and prosperity of the family. They mean constant renewal and infinity. Therefore, wedding dresses were usually embroidered with florals. For instance, grape clusters embody joy, associated with the creation of a unit of society. Oak and guelder rose (kalina in Ukrainian) also form a part of the symbolism, which are most often depicted in feminine and youthful embroideries. These patterns harmoniously combine a magical and immortal beauty with incredible power. A laurel branch or wreath is the emblem of glory.
Geometric patterns are mostly related to the beauty of Ukrainian nature. As traditional embroidery has pagan roots, some of the symbols are intertwined with Slavic mythology. Thus, the rhombus is a symbol of fertility. It promotes the expansion of the family and the improvement of its well-being. Stars symbolize the ancient idea of the universe, which is distinguished by a certain order and harmony. The triangle represents the Holy Trinity and is the strongest Christian defense, while the crosses have powerful tools against evil spirits and bring success in all endeavors.
The embroidery of animals and birds are ritual symbols. They are rarely depicted on clothes, but on rushnyk (embroidered towels) or various charms, they possess special significance. Doves and roosters are the characteristic ornaments of a wedding towel, for example. In such cases, birds are inclined toward each other. Moreover, they usually keep a twig of a guelder rose in a beak or sit at the roots of a tree. A similar composition is a sign of the origin of a new family. Butterflies personify angels, and swallows mean good news.
Many years ago, embroidery was considered to be a ritual, conducted on certain days, channeling positive energy and clear, light thoughts into the work. It took a couple of weeks or even a month to complete a vyshyvanka. Fortunately, this kind of craft has become more convenient today. There are a lot of opportunities to create quick and inexpensive ornamentation with a machine. Handmade embroidery, in turn, is no less popular but more expensive. Native fashion designers do not waste time in vain, and use traditional ornamentation for their collections. They know that the demand for customized embroidered apparel is constantly growing inside and outside the country.
A post shared by Vita Kin (@vitakin_originals) on Mar 20, 2017 at 9:42am PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.