Western Ukraine is the most traveled-through part of the country. It is popular among tourists not only for winter activities or restless excursions but also for amazing landscapes, thermal and mineral sources, and the best spa and wellness in Ukraine. A pleasant bonus is that all the services are really cheap.
Ternopil and Rivne
Start your journey from Ternopil and Rivne. These two cities are located in a distance of 78 miles (126 km), which will allow you to easily combine sightseeing and recreation. One the most famous mineral sources is Novo-Zbruchanskoe, located in a small village in Ternopil region. It is the place, where healing mineral water is extracted, which has a beneficial effect on the digestive organs and the nervous system. Come to the sources to cure and relax in mineral water baths. As for Rivne, a must-visit location is the local Tunnel of Love, stretching along the railway. It is a gem for couples or just romantic people. The legend says, that a kiss in such a place will make your love last forever.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Lviv and Chernivtsi
Lviv and Chernivtsi are among the most visited cities in Ukraine. Their ancient architecture, cobbled streets and mystical atmosphere drastically differ from the ambience of central or eastern parts of the country. The cities offer an endless amount of venues to pop into and try traditional Ukrainian cuisine, as well as Galician specialities. Such major attractions as Market Square (main square in Lviv), its legendary cathedrals and the Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans in Chernivtsi are included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
If you have already discovered all the majestic architecture of Lviv and Chernivtsi, the city of Uzhhorod is your next stop. The perfect time to visit Uzhhorod is spring. You will have an opportunity to capture the beauty of the blooming sakura avenue and drink a cup of great espresso in a café-museum Pid Zamkom just for 9 UAH ($0.40). Traveling around the city is especially convenient by taxi, as a ride to any part of the city costs only 25 UAH ($1).
Uzhhorod region is also famous for its thermal sources and best spa and wellness hotels. Swimming in the cast-iron vat is the service everyone comes to Western Ukraine for. The procedure is unusual: it takes place outdoors but the huge vat with water is heated on the fire. To enhance the therapeutic effect, aromatic herbs are usually added to the water.
The Carpathians are not only picturesque mountains, dense forests and magnificent natural landscapes but also a mild climate and the healing properties of local mineral springs. Come to Shayan – a small resort with mineral waters, which in composition are very similar to Russian Yessentuki and Georgian Borjomi. The nature of the region is rich and captivating. You can swim in numerous lakes, get some boat rides, fishing or collect mushrooms in the forests. As a rule, prices for recreation in the mountains are reduced in the summer period to 400 UAH ($15) per night in the hotels. Meanwhile, you can rent a private cottage even cheaper.
VODA day&night club
In Bukovel, a resort in the Carpathians, crowds of tourists come to visit the Spa-complex VODA with a heated swimming pool, restaurant and access to the lake all year round. There you can swim in the pool, sunbathe by the lake. In winter, after skiing, relax at Spa and later have tasty dinner in the restaurant, which serves hot smoked trout, meat delicacies and other dishes of Ukrainian and European cuisines.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.