Lately, Ukrainian designers follow the popular trends and celebrate the common aspiration to the comfortable, minimalist and exclusive apparel. Creating collections, some are guided by rich experience, while others listen to their own desires. But the results are worth discovering. Here, we suggest the top 11 designers, genially welcomed by the world’s fashion community.
The brand of the same name is created by designer Lilia Poustovit. Her masterpieces are always in-demand, as she was the one who changed the stereotypes about ethnicity in fashion. She is also among the most successful designers in the country, who dresses all the local beau monde. In her 40s, she occupies the 75th place in the rating of the 100 most influential women of Ukraine.
A post shared by POUSTOVIT (@poustovit) on Sep 4, 2017 at 10:58am PDT
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Paskal is famous in Ukraine and worldwide due to its clear geometric lines and unexpected cutting. It was 2010 when Ukrainian designer of clothes and accessories, Julia Paskal, first presented her label. Currently, Paskal is the only Ukrainian brand participating in the official program of the Paris Fashion Week. Her apparel is sold at the most prestigious luxury market retailers such as Luisa Via Roma and Colette. Meanwhile, popular singer Björk posed in the Paskal blue fringe suit during a photoshoot supporting the release of her new album, Utopia.
A post shared by PASKAL (@paskalclothes) on Nov 23, 2017 at 10:41am PST
Victor Anisimov was one of the first designers who presented a men’s collection at the fashion week in Ukraine back in 1997. Distinctive features of the fashion designer’s style are universally military – since the designer himself is a former military man – and clothes-transformer. For instance, the sleeves of the jackets can be easily unstrapped, or the hood can be tied around the neck as a stylish scarf. Victor Anisimov creates things that he would like to wear himself, therefore, the designer is the undisputed leader in Ukrainian fashion.
A post shared by VIKTORANISIMOV (@anisimov_menswear) on Oct 19, 2017 at 12:02pm PDT
The style of Svetlana Bevza can be recognised in minimalism and comfort. When creating a new collection, she always tries to achieve simplicity in everything. The dresses of the brand are total must-have in the wardrobe of any woman – like a little black cocktail dress. Since 2007, Bevza participates in the Ukrainian Fashion Week twice a year. Moreover, her styles are presented in multi-brand boutiques of the United States, Russia, Great Britain, China, Milan, and also in the many showrooms of Ukrainian cities.
A post shared by BEVZA (@bevza) on Sep 12, 2017 at 9:04am PDT
Litkovskaya is also a minimalist label, sought-after by the youth of the country. It is aimed at women with an independent and bold sense of style, craving freedom. In 2001, Lilia Litkovskaya was awarded the prize of the best fashion designer in Ukraine. Today, the latest collections of her brand can be found in Kiev, New York, Paris, Los Angeles, Tokyo, and Moscow showrooms.
A post shared by LITKOVSKAYA (@litkovskaya_official) on Oct 11, 2017 at 1:21pm PDT
The name of Zalevskiy in Ukraine is associated with constant defiance, provocative images, incredible fashion shows and decorations. It is not surprising, as the designer is a makeup artist by education. His collections have hints of self-irony, expressed through contemporary makeup and extraordinary hairstyles, accompanied by different artistic performances.
A post shared by Zalevskiy (@zalevskiy_aleksey) on Mar 13, 2017 at 7:16am PDT
Masha Reva is the most striking Ukrainian designer, who can brag about numerous achievements, despite her young age. She is a successful graduate of the Central Saint Martins (London art school), worked as an intern at Walter Van Beirendonck and Antwerp Royal Academy of Fine Arts. Her clothes are sold worldwide, she collaborates with streetwear brand Syndicate, and creates prints for dresses and T-shirts as an illustrator, while Sergei Polunin (Ukrainian ballet dancer) models for her collections.
A post shared by Masha Reva (@mashareva) on Nov 19, 2017 at 7:42am PST
Irina Dzhus is a Ukrainian fashion designer of conceptual apparel. She creates clothes of nonstandard forms and always features the alternative solutions of design. She is defiant of bright colours and contemporary trends. Thus, Dzhus is an exceptionally comfortable, practical and aesthetic wear, which, nowadays, is more favoured by the foreign market than a local one.
A post shared by DZHUS (@dzhus.conceptual.wear) on Nov 19, 2017 at 2:50am PST
Fashion designer Ksenia Schnaider is a true professional, as she gained her degree not only in the Kyiv National University of Technologies and Design, but also in the Central Saint Martins and Istituto Marangoni (art and design institutes in London). She owns two clothes labels: a democratic one called X’U and the one of the same name – Ksenia Schnaider. Recently, pop singer Lady Gaga and world’s top model Bella Hadid were seen wearing her designs.
A post shared by Ksenia Schnaider (@kseniaschnaider) on Oct 11, 2017 at 10:27am PDT
Lake Studio brand is headed by two creative Ukrainian ladies Olesya Kononova and Anastasia Riabokon. Their collections are full of architectural motifs, exclusive prints, gentle silhouettes and warm, deep shades. It is the only brand in Eastern Europe that participated in The Platform project by Moda Operandi (online fashion retailer), which discovers and promotes the growth of young labels all over the world.
A post shared by Lake Studio (@lake_studio) on Nov 14, 2017 at 10:22am PST
Vladimir Podolyan is a Ukrainian designer, who creates beautiful feminine clothes. He is always devoted to the colour black, yet with close attention to detail. In his collections, you will find elegant suits, lush skirts, and ruffles that make his works of art quite peculiar and special. Podolyan is a brand that will fit any woman with an active rhythm of life, so inherent to a modern metropolis.
A post shared by PODOLYAN (@podolyanbrand) on Oct 25, 2017 at 8:07am PDT
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.