Turkey holds a unique place at the crossroads of Asia, Africa and Europe. You can find influences of all three continents in different parts of the country, making it the perfect destination to get you back in the travel mood. Here’s our pick of top places to visit, paired with superb handpicked hotels.
There’s an exoticism to Turkey that often masks the fact that it’s within easy reach of many European cities. When you look around Istanbul, the biggest city in the country and the economic hub where East meets West, you’re steeped in history at every turn. It’s the first destination many travellers head to, and certainly one we highly recommend, but why not take the opportunity to see other parts of Turkey this year?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There are outstanding hotels to suit every taste throughout the country, and experiences to thrill every traveller. Here are some places beyond Istanbul that we hope will entice you back to Turkey.
Why visit Turkey in 2021
Travel across Turkey has become an increasingly pleasurable affair. There are a number of buses that connect major cities, running regular services, and the road network is improving with every passing year. Another option is travel by sea, which requires a little planning but opens up the country as a gateway to further destinations. In the south, you can explore the rest of the Mediterranean, while up north you’ll find the Balkan nations on the Black Sea.
There are regional airports that are well-serviced to, and from, various locations, but one additional tip is rail travel. The romanticised Orient Express might be a thing of the past, but there has been huge investment in domestic train routes in recent years, giving you a budget way to get around in comfort. Overnight journeys on sleeper carriages are something we’re particularly keen to experience this year, especially if it leads us to these great places.
This port city is only a short ferry ride – just under an hour – from the Greek island of Kos. Modern Bodrum sits on the ruins of an ancient city that had previously fallen under both Persian and Greek rule, and visitors today can see a number of relics from the past. Bodrum Castle is one of the main attractions, highlighting the additional rule under Knights Hospitaller in the 15th century. The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus was one of the original Seven Wonders of the World and stood in Bodrum until the 12th century. Ruins from the mausoleum are accessible, marking out the area as of particular interest to culture lovers.
Further east, but still in the same province as Bodrum, is the popular tourist destination of Fethiye. The city is one of the highlights of the Turkish Riviera, also known as the Turquoise Coast. Every summer, thousands of tourists descend here when the weather is exceptional. Dalaman Airport connects the city to the rest of the world, and local minibuses known as dolmus help you get to some of the smaller villages dotted around Fethiye. We think this summer will not be as popular as previous years as the region recovers from coronavirus, and as such, there are some great bargains to be found.
We’ve focussed this guide to Turkey on the southern coast, and our final highlight is easily the most popular destination in the region. One of the most visited places in the world, Antalya has a vibrant local economy and growing population. There are historic monuments worth visiting, although many tourists are happy just to enjoy the resorts and beaches. For 2021 we think a trip to the Old Town is an essential part of any visit, offering a more cultural experience in Antalya.
Places to stay
Bodrum’s ancient history, coastal harbour and local markets draw visitors to this sunny destination in southwest Turkey every year. Duja Hotel Bodrum, a slice of heaven overlooking the Aegean Sea, won’t disappoint either. The resort’s numerous facilities – as well as a private beach – will keep guests of all ages occupied, with space to relax and soak up the peaceful holiday atmosphere.
Sertil Royal Forest, a new architectural addition to the area with stunning views over the countryside, welcomes guests in a quiet, relaxed atmosphere, away from the bustle of busy Fethiye. The location is ideal for savouring the landscape of Babadag mountain, the surrounding forests and the extraordinary blue lagoon that visitors to this part of the Turquoise Coast all come to experience.
If it’s peace and calm you’re after, Elegance East Hotel in Antalya, a popular resort town on the Turquoise Coast with just 25 rooms, is the place for you. Whether you’re visiting to relax poolside or delve deep into Turkish history, this stylish boutique hotel is perfectly located for exploring Antalya. This former Roman port also has plenty of stunning beaches if you fancy a dip in the Mediterranean.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.