The rock formations of Cappadocia are the backdrop to Turkey’s most popular hot-air ballooning destination, known for its annual festival when the skies are filled with brightly coloured canopies. Here is the lowdown on everything you need to know and if you’re looking to overnight, Konya is nearby.
Want to explore more of Turkey with like-minded travellers? You can book your place now on a TRIPS by Culture Trip epic 12-day adventure, From Istanbul to Antalya, and discover vibrant bazaars, rocky valleys and beach resorts via land, sea and air.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Where is Cappadocia?
This central Anatolian region of Turkey – an eight-hour drive east from Istanbul, and four hours from Ankara – is renowned for its honeycombed hillsides, churches carved into the rock and curious troglodyte dwellings. These geological marvels are a result of volcanic eruptions that occurred millions of years ago and they continue to enrapture everyone who visits. Hiking in the area is lovely, but by far the best way to experience this unique landscape is from high above. Book a hot-air balloon ride and soar silently over the fairy chimneys at dawn, as the rocks take on the reddish glow of the rising sun.
What should I expect?
To ensure you get to experience the wonder of a hot-air-balloon ride in Cappadocia, it’s wise to book months ahead. Although more than 100 balloons go up every morning at sunrise, they are always full, and missing out on this magical experience would be a shame. If possible, stay for a few days after your booked flight, just in case it gets cancelled. Most flights go from Göreme and tour operators usually include a transfer to and from your hotel in air-conditioned transport in the cost.
As hot-air ballooning in this unique place is much sought-after, with specialised equipment and pilots required, you can expect prices to be high. As it’s probably a once-in-a-lifetime experience, upgrade to a deluxe or comfort flight for a more exclusive trip. The economy-class balloons hold 16 people, but on the more expensive tours, the balloon baskets are smaller, so you’ll have more room to move around and everyone gets to be front row for the spectacular scenery below. Some tours even include breakfast and bubbly.
Watching the balloons inflate in the early morning half-light is a thrilling experience. Once on board, your pilot will give you some safety instructions and will tell you what you can expect on your journey, including what to do if the basket tips on landing. This is quite a common occurrence, so don’t panic! The course of the hot-air balloon depends on the wind speed and direction, so you could fly as high as 900m (3,000ft) above ground and reach speeds of up to 22kmph (13mph) while taking in the dramatic panorama below. Don’t forget your camera!
Most flights last around 60 to 90 minutes, but the landing spot is uncertain. Each balloon has a ground crew that’s in constant radio contact with your pilot. The crew follows the trajectory of the balloon and chases it to where it will land, which could be any flat area in the region. Landing can be a little bumpy, but the pilots are well trained and often land it perfectly, directly on the trailer brought there by the ground crew’s four-wheel drive.
The best season for hot-air ballooning in Cappadocia
Cappadocia is probably the only place in the world where you’ll see hundreds of hot-air balloons dotting the skies at sunrise, for most of the year. It’s quite normal for balloons to fly 250 days a year, whereas the norm elsewhere in Europe is just 60. The main Cappadocia balloon season is between April and November, as between December and March strong winds, fog and snow could mean your flight is cancelled. Floating noiselessly over a snow-strewn Cappadocia is an exceptional experience, though – if you can manage it.
The Cappadocia hot-air balloon festival takes place over four days in July. During this airborne spectacle, you can see more than 150 hot-air balloons, including more than 20 specially shaped varieties, and a night-glow show that takes place after dark. While the action goes on overhead, you can also enjoy musical entertainment and dance performances down below, with plenty of food stalls and bars to keep you refreshed.
Is hot-air ballooning in Cappadocia safe?
Having so many balloons in the sky at one time could seem a little dangerous but rest assured, all the pilots go through rigorous training, pass numerous flight and medical checks and have hundreds of hours of flight time under their belts before they can pilot a hot-air balloon. Many of the pilots in Cappadocia have decades of experience. Plus, there are strict regulations from Turkey’s civil aviation authority about when it’s safe or unsafe to fly. That doesn’t mean accidents never happen, but out of the thousands of flights every year, incident numbers are minimal.
Other things to do in Cappadocia
With your hot-air balloon tour under your belt, you may be looking for other things to do in Cappadocia. You won’t have to look far. There are plenty of tours of the area, exploring underground cities, open air museums, incredible archaeological sites and rock-hewn citadels.
You’ll find a maze of hiking trails leading through the lunar landscape, but if you fancy something a bit more high-adrenaline, a quad bike ride around the Unesco World Heritage site is a lot of fun. For a gentler way to experience the beauty of the region, opt for a sunset horseback ride through the volcanic tuff. Don’t forget to book at least one night in a cave hotel – an experience that shouldn’t be missed!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.