Turkey is where East literally meets West, as you cross the Bosphorus and travel from Europe into Asia. You can haggle for bargains in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, and rise above the plains of Cappadocia in a hot-air balloon. Spend your nights enjoying the vintage comforts of Ottoman-era mansions or the unique surroundings of a cave hotel. When it comes to hotels, this country has it all. Here are some of the best places to stay in Turkey – bookable on Culture Trip.
Want to explore Turkey’s vibrant bazaars and rocky valleys? Book Culture Trip’s 12-day group tour where you’ll stop at key historical sights and glide across the landscape in a hot-air balloon.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One for history lovers, this hotel is found within a restored Ottoman mansion located in the Istanbul suburb of Kanlica. The A’jia Hotel, is situated on the Asian side of the Bosphorus, a short boat ride away from the city’s old town. Enjoy views of the Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge from the al fresco restaurant, or relax in the boutique comfort of the waterside suites. If you’re after a secluded location within reach of the city’s main sights, this is the Istanbul hotel for you.
Art enthusiasts will enjoy a stay at the Rixos Pera in Istanbul, as it’s just a short walk from the Museum of Modern Art and the Pera Museum, a gallery dedicated to 19th-century artworks from the eastern world. This five-star luxury hotel is one for foodies too, featuring three restaurants offering a fusion of eastern and western cuisine. After admiring the sea views and delighting in a meal on the terrace, you can unwind at the Rixos Pera spa, where the full Turkish bath experience is available.
Located in the heart of Istanbul’s old city, the Nomade is one for sightseers, as it is just a six-minute walk from the famed Blue Mosque, while the historic Hagia Sophia is even closer, just four minutes away. This three-star hotel offers excellent value with simple cosy rooms; some even include views over the Bosphorus.
The perfect place for history-loving foodies, the Divan Cukurhan has had a long life serving weary travellers outside the gates of Ankara’s ancient citadel. This restored Ottoman-era inn dates back as far as the 16th century and was brought back to life with a modern boutique overhaul in 2007. The lobby bar and the Safranhan Brasserie serve dishes and drinks fit for a Sultan, inspired by centuries of Ottoman cooking.
The restored timbers and whitewashed walls of the White Garden Hotel will transport you back to a long-gone era. Located in Antalya’s historic Kaleici district, this historic hotel is just a short walk from Roman ruins and the ancient harbour where travellers have been disembarking for millennia. It’s perfect for beach lovers too, because the sands of Mermerli Beach are just 200m (656ft) away from the hotel.
Spend the night living in the strange luxury of an underground cave hotel. Cappadocia is known for its cave dwellings, with entire underground cities, such as Derinkuyu and Kaymakli, being high on the must-see list. The hotel rooms at the Ottoman Cave Suites have been carved from rock, before being finished with Cappadocian rugs and rock-hewn bathtubs. Your options range from the basic Stone Room, right up to the luxury King Suite.
Presumably named after characters in Greek mythology, and not the high street shop, Argos Cappadocia is an Instagram hotspot. This hotel offers photogenic views over the valleys of Cappadocia from its rocky perch in the village of Uçhisar, and even the standard rooms have their own stone terraces. Start the day with a hot air balloon ride over the otherworldly landscape and end the day with Anatolian food and wine, all produced with ingredients and grapes from the on-site garden and vineyard.
If you’re looking for secluded, small-town charm on Turkey’s Mediterranean coast, the Luna Hotel in Kas could be the place for you. This boutique hotel offers double and triple rooms with balconies and some of the best sea views in town. Oh, and you can be on the beach in just 10 minutes after a pleasant stroll through Kas.
If you’re an avid hiker, then the Likya Yolu Palas Hotel is your gateway to Turkey’s long-distance, Mediterranean walking path. The Likya Yolu – or Lycian Way – stretches from Fethiye in the north, 300mi (482km) south to Antalya, and along the way, it takes in ancient Roman ruins and secluded coastal villages. Offering an outdoor pool, boutique rooms and an organic restaurant, the Likya Yolu Palas Hotel makes for a great base while you explore the surrounding walking routes.
Anyone looking for luxury and value should book into Hotel Villa Mahal on Turkey’s Mediterranean coast. Having claimed a prestigious award for being the best value luxury hotel in Europe and the Mediterranean, this is one hotel where you get your money’s worth. It has its own private beach overlooking Kalamar Bay and a freshwater swimming pool to cool off in; with just 13 rooms, you won’t be crowded out even in summer, leaving plenty of room to book a day trip on the hotel’s private sightseeing yacht.
Hidden away among the rocky cliffs and valleys of Lycia is the Degirmen Hotel. Located in the village of Faralya, the hotel overlooks Butterfly Valley, a steep, craggy ravine that leads down to the Aegean Sea. Yes, there are lots of butterflies here, and you’ll find many in the green, almost tropical garden that surrounds the hotel. Enjoy the cool swimming pool, fed by natural springs, while preparing your own meals in the self-catered apartments found in this old watermill.
What’s so unique about Fethiye’s Hotel Unique, you might be asking? Is it its unique Mediterranean location with the town of Fethiye in one direction and beaches in the other? Alternatively, it could be the unique Nude restaurant offering deconstructed Ottoman and modern fusion cuisine. There’s plenty on offer at this boutique hotel, including a spa, sailing trips to secluded islands and a premium room that comes complete with a private garden jacuzzi.
Fancy camping out in gorgeous Turkey? Check out our pick of the most scenic places to go camping in Turkey.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.