Afyonkarahisar is so much more than the Turkish capital of thermal spas. In its surrounding landscape, you can still discover rusted bullet casings from the Turkish War of Independence, ancient artifacts in its archaeology museum, and a fortress that seems to overlook the world from the town’s jutting mountain. We rounded up Afyon’s most striking things to do and see in 48 hours.
Sucuk and Lokum
Before we can even begin with Afyon’s historical highlights, we have to talk about its sucuk and lokum. Sucuk consists of a mixture of ground beef with various spices that is fed into a sausage casing and dried for several weeks. The end result is a spicy and fatty sausage that Turks like to slice up and throw into the pan with some eggs or into a grilled cheese sandwich. In Afyon, the king of sucuk is Cumhuriyet, a company that has been making the delicacy since 1923.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As for the lokum (Turkish delight), Afyon makes the overtly saccharine treat a little different; more specifically, the sheets of gelatin (made from water, cornstarch, and a touch of lemon juice) feature a thick layer of kaymak (clotted cream from buffalo’s milk), and then it is rolled up and sprinkled with coconut shavings. The favorite maker of this uber-sweet concoction is O Lokum, which produces and sells the Afyon Kaymaklı Lokum at the Afyon bus station. Just be aware that you’ll have to eat this lokum fresh because of the clotted cream, which doesn’t bode well with elongated waiting times.
Old Town and the Castle of Afyonkarahisar
All around the famous Ulu Cami (a mosque built between 1272–1277), Afyon’s old town is full of beautiful Ottoman-era houses in a spectrum of pastel colors, a lot of them serving as boutique hotels. Wander the cobblestoned streets until you see the sign that points toward the castle. You’ll have to walk the 800 steps to get to the Afyonkarahisar Castle, but the arduous climb is very much worth it for the awesome view from the top. Also in Afyon’s old town is the second mevlevihane (building complex of the Mevlevi Order) to be opened after Konya, which stands out with its 13th-century Seljuk mosque. The Sultan Divani Mevlevihane Müzesi recreates the everyday lives of the dervishes through museum displays and an audio tour.
Büyük Utku Anıtı
You’ll be immediately struck by this monument in the town center. Designed by famous Austrian sculptor Heinrich Krippel between 1934 and 1936, the sculpture, which depicts two male forms at battle with one defeating the other who lies at his feet, is meant to symbolize Turkish victory against the enemy. Right across the Büyük Utku Anıtı (The Grand Victory Monument), the Zafer Müzesi (Triumph Museum), which was once the headquarters of then-commander-in-chief Mustafa Kemal Pasha (Atatürk), now serves as a military and war museum.
You won’t come across any tourists while exploring the mysterious ancient remains of the once powerful Phrygians, who once inhabited the Frig Vadisi (Phrygian Valley) that runs along Eskişehir, Kütahya, and Afyon. The relics include monuments and churches carved right into the natural rock, and the sights outside Afyon are the most well-preserved. You’ll need a car to see these relics that will make you feel as if you discovered something no one else quite knows about yet.
The Afyonkarahisar Archaeological Museum
Many artifacts, from the Copper and Bronze ages as well as from the Hittite, Phrygian, Ancient Greek, and Byzantine civilizations, are on display at the Afyonkarahisar Archaeological Museum. With around 44,000 objects, another highlight is the museum’s backyard full of sculptures and relics.
Last but not least, Afyon’s many thermal spa hotels make use of the region’s active geothermal activity. With five main springs with high mineral content, Afyon’s thermal waters are believed to possess healing properties against ailments. Some of the standouts include the luxurious Korel, Ikbal, NG Afyon, and Akrones thermal spa hotels.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.