Architect-turned-designer, Vera Purtscher of VERA PURE, discusses the design philosophy behind her elegant and ergonomic cutlery collection, Moonlashes.
Austrian-Swiss architect and designer Vera Purtscher developed a love of cutlery when she “fell in love” with Joseph Hoffman’s collection while she was a student in Vienna. After saving up two months salary, she splurged on the famous silver cutlery—but could only afford four pieces at the time. While Hoffman’s pieces were admittedly beautiful, Vera found that “functionality was sacrificed for aesthetics” and the cutlery was less than ideal for eating.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With “form follows function” in mind, Vera set out to design her own collection that would make the act of consuming food both comfortable and elegant. “Sometimes cutlery is good for the eyes, but not good for the hands. The only reason to have cutlery…is to help with [the act of] eating,” she told Culture Trip in a phone interview. “The main important thing [in dining] is of course the wonderful dish and the cook, and of course what nature is giving to us [in the food]. But my aim was to make the most comfortable cutlery for the hands.”
At first the collection started out as a series of drawings, without any expectations of the designs becoming a reality. But a chance meeting with the owner of the infamous Alessi “Design Factory” led to the first prototypes of the collection, and subsequently part of the famous metaproject Alessi Memory Containers.
“Dr. Alberto Alessi said I should send him drawings. I was really astonished, because I told him ‘I’m just an architect’ and he said ‘Okay, that doesn’t matter. So many people didn’t study product design.’”
Her background in architecture proved a seamless transition into the design world: “All the rules for architecture are also valid for design: it has to do with function, ergonomics, surfaces, light, materials, money, sustainability. It’s so very, very similar. I’ve always called my designs ‘nomadic little architectures’ because when you like them and you change your apartment, you take them with you,” she said.
Part of any creative endeavor—whether it’s writing, painting, or product design—is knowing when to put the work aside and let it breathe for a while before coming back to revise. “What I love so very much about design is that you work on prototypes,” Vera revealed. “I work on one and then I try to make it better. I can improve here and there, and try it out, but sometimes you don’t know if it’s good or not. So I put it in a corner, wait, and then look at it again with new eyes. I cannot do that with architecture.”
Even the name for the collection has its roots in a poetic vision of the world, and captures the whimsical quality inherent in the designs. “There are some days in the months where the moon is very very narrow, like a little line in the sky. When you are losing a lash from your eyes, if you look carefully, you’ll see it’s a free curve. I wanted to combine the two words: the moon and the lash,” she explained.
But the collection was also partially inspired by the world famous sculpture Bird in Space: “When I created my first drawing for the soup, I had a little smile on my face because I thought ‘Oh! It’s little Brancusi’,” she laughed.
Moonlashes features 19 pieces and come with left and right-handed spoons and forks. “Of course it’s always my aim to make beautiful things. I do not like to throw things away or spoil the resources of our planet. So I try to create things in architecture and design that have the chance to live and survive for a long, long period of time.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.