One of the most picturesque towns in Switzerland, Montreux has long been home to the rich and famous. Every July, thousands descend on the Swiss town on the shores of Lake Geneva to enjoy the Montreux Jazz Festival. Come winter, the ski resorts of Leysin, Les Mosses and La Lécherette are just over a 30-minute drive away. Here, we pick some of the best hotels in Montreux for your next trip, bookable with Culture Trip.
Set in the Unesco Lavaux region, which is famed for its terraced vineyards, the five-star hotel Le Mirador Resort & Spa features a jaw-dropping panoramic view over Lake Geneva and the Swiss Alps. Rooms take advantage of the hotel’s lakeside vantage point, with floor-to-ceiling windows and private balconies. The property also has a spa with a steam room, sauna and indoor pool. It’s just a short walk to the Charlie Chaplin museum.
On the shores of Lake Geneva, the Royal Plaza Montreux & Spa has rooms with lake or mountain views; many feature a private terrace. Head to Café Bellagio to feast on traditional regional cuisine, with a focus on local, seasonal produce. Sunday brunch is popular with locals. During the day, pay a visit to the spa with its indoor pool and sauna. Come dusk, the Sunset Bar lives up to its name with great views of the sun sinking behind the mountains.
Acclaimed for its service, luxurious offerings and charm, Grand Hotel du Lac Vevey is located in the picturesque town of Vevey, just seven kilometres (4.3mi) from Montreux. The hotel dates back to 1868 and much of its original artworks and furnishings have been retained. A meal at the Michelin-starred restaurant, Les Saisons, is not to be missed. Try to book a table on the outdoor terrace which overlooks Lake Geneva. The hotel is less than a 10-minute drive to the surrounding Lavaux wine region — ask the concierge for advice on the best wineries to visit.
As the name suggests, the Golf Hotel Rene Capt is not far from the 18-hole Golf Club Montreux. While you might be tempted to spend your holiday on the greens, there are plenty of other distractions nearby, including tennis, mountain biking, hiking and sailing. Ask for a room with views of the striking Château Chillon. A delicious complimentary breakfast buffet is included with your stay. Located just a short walk from the town centre, take a meandering stroll along the lakeside promenade and look out for statue of singer Freddie Mercury.
Located on the outskirts of Montreux in the town of La Tour-de-Peilz, the three-star Hotel Bon Rivage is a welcoming property with a family-friendly vibe. Choose a room with a lake view and balcony. Downstairs, the Garden on the Lake restaurant serves up delectable French cuisine, whilst the breakfast buffet features freshly-baked bread and warm pastries. The concierge is more than happy to share insights on favourite under-the-radar attractions. Hop on the free bus outside the hotel, which will whisk you into Montreux.
Pratyusha Prakash contributed additional reporting.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.