Switzerland is a playground for those who love the great outdoors. From any of the big cities, there are many great trails and hikes to undertake, and with the country being as small as it is, you are never far away from the spectacular Alps where you can explore fantastic scenery or enjoy the crisp snow. Whatever the season, Switzerland has something for you.
Rich natural beauty is the major reason Switzerland comes in at the top of any outdoors list. Within its small area, there are hundreds of mountain peaks waiting to be explored, including 48 that are above 4,000 metres (13,123 feet). Big names (literally) include the infamously tooth-shaped Matterhorn, the Eiger (its north face is well known by climbers), and the Monte Rosa massif, which boasts Switzerland’s highest peak. There are also 1,500 lakes in the country, including Lac Léman, Europe’s largest.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This natural landscape that’s been forged by the to and fro of glaciers and channelled by their run-off means there’s no shortage of things to do for those who like a good kick of adrenaline. Whatever the season, you’ll find that there’s plenty to keep you occupied.
When most people imagine Switzerland, they immediately think of skiing down pristine white mountain slopes. They’d not be wrong to do so. The country is packed full of top-class slopes, glitzy resorts, and others that unashamedly offer only the basics. Come winter, and it’s a snowy haven whatever your level of experience.
But Switzerland isn’t just a winter destination, and that’s why it’s beloved by outdoorsy types. When the snow thaws and the ice recedes, hiking trails open up, letting you explore the heart of truly breath-taking mountain passes on routes that you’ll wish never end.
For the summer sports enthusiast, Interlaken is one of the most popular destinations in Switzerland. It’s where you’ll find almost every activity imaginable, from skydiving near a mountain face to spelunking or canyoning. Head there to really understand what all the fuss is about.
Swiss culture indulges in this outdoorsy vibe. On weekends, you’ll find the Swiss heading off into the mountains, and in winter, skis are locked in for a quick few runs before the working week recommences. You won’t be surprised to hear then that many of the best, and weirdest, Swiss customs and festivals happen outdoors.
So you’ll quickly come to understand why Switzerland is beloved by nature lovers, trekkers and sports nuts alike. You’ll never run out of things to do or see, and the scenery will take your breath away, whether at the height of summer, or the depths of winter.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.