The saying goes: it’s never too late to say sorry. Well, some Americans in Switzerland are taking that sentiment very seriously—particularly when it comes to their president. Ahead of Donald Trump’s visit for the annual World Economic Forum (WEF) meeting, held in the swanky ski resort of Davos, a group of American expats are set to hold a protest with a difference: they plan to apologize on his behalf.
Donald Trump’s arrival has been met with intense anticipation in the Alpine country. Video footage of the president’s heavily armored motorcade touching down even made the evening news.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the past few days, hundreds of anti-capitalist protesters have marched through the streets of Bern, Zurich and other cities in response to the President’s decision to come to Davos. Some 15,000 people have signed an online petition telling Trump he isn’t welcome.
But, as it turns out, the most powerful man in the world didn’t listen. Now, he’ll join a host of other world leaders at the event.
A WEF meeting without protests is like a visit to Switzerland without fondue. It just doesn’t happen. In the past, some of these protests have turned violent, and people are fearful that Trump’s appearance will cause a huge flare-ups, prompting the Swiss government to swamp the town with police and armed soldiers.
In light of this, a group of American expats plan to stage a light-hearted, but earnest, protest of their own. Alexandra Dufresne, one of the organizers of the event, which is to be held in Zurich this Saturday, explained to The Local: “Almost all the Americans I’ve spoken to abroad, after the election, after Trump pulled out of the Paris [climate change] accord, we all felt an overwhelming desire to approach strangers and apologize.
“We were so ashamed and embarrassed and had such a big impulse to say ‘we are so sorry,’” she continued.
The protest is being organized by Action Together: Zurich and Campax. The Americans and their Swiss counterparts plan to apologize to passers-by on behalf of their President. The event organizers stress that they are a non-partisan group and want to remain open to those on both sides of the aisle.
However, not everyone is upset by the president’s appearance at the WEF conference: “It’s absolutely essential that we have President Trump with us,” said the founder of the WEF, Klaus Schwab. “We need collaborative efforts.”
Along the same lines, President of the WEF, Borge Brende, said: “Participants are really looking forward to hear the leader of the largest economy in the world, President Trump, share his vision for the global economy moving forward.”
Trump’s bombastic and unpredictable manner, which has seen him rile up several world leaders in infamous Twitter rants (and shock them at a United Nations meeting), has already turned world diplomacy on its head this past year. When the WEF kicks off next week, many fear that Trump will be his usual firecracker self in front of the world’s economic big-wigs. It may well turn out that Americans in Switzerland find themselves apologizing again in the coming weeks.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.