Switzerland is considered one of the safest places to travel in the world. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be on your guard. Like anywhere else, crime does happen. Theft is quite common with tourists, particularly solo travellers, often primary targets. Zurich, Geneva and Bern is where most crime is concentrated. So don’t be lulled into a false sense of Swiss security. Here are some of the scams that you should look out for. But be aware scams are constantly changing, so it’s best to be vigilant and if in doubt, walk away.
‘Free’ stuff scams
Free stuff scams are exactly what they sound like. Scammers will approach you and offer you something, or force something on you. Immediately afterwards they’ll force you to pay, causing a scene if you don’t. Scammers in Geneva pretend to be Buddhist monks, offering ‘friendship bracelets’. In other cases people may offer you a free flower, robbing you while they put it on. Refuse the free stuff and walk away.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As in most large cities, you should be aware of pickpockets. They often work in groups, with one or two acting as a distraction while another lightens your pockets or handbags. Incidences can vary, but be aware of someone bumping into you or tripping you.
In 2010, groups of scam artists were profiting from the age-old game known as bonneteau; the shell and pea game. It works by a small ball being ‘hidden’ under one of three cups, when in fact it never goes under the cup at all. Stakes were starting at 100CHF. Police issued warnings against the scam, but tourists and locals were conned out of their cash regardless. You probably won’t see this happening today, but if you do be sure to steer well clear.
This scam centred around Geneva in 2013 and 2015. People posing as police (plain clothes and in uniform) asked to see the wallets of random people that included tourists, Swiss citizens and UN officials. Both rings were been broken up and there haven’t been any reports of a similar scam for some time, but you should still be vigilant. If you are in any doubt, don’t hand over any of your belongings and instead, call 117 – the emergency number in Switzerland.
The Free Hug Campaign is great, everyone loves hugs. But it’s also good to be wary of anyone wandering the streets asking for hugs. It does happen that your pockets can be rifled while enjoying the warm embrace of a stranger. If it feels dodgy, don’t do it.
The so-called ‘Marseille’ scam popped up in Zurich in 2015. Travellers seeing an error message when buying tickets at Zurich station’s machines would go off in search of help, while the money they paid is liberated by scammers. Again, this is an old trick, but may still pop up now and again. If there is a fault with ticket machines, stand and wait for an attendant to come to you. There’ll always be another train.
The fake donation
This one is tricky. Switzerland has a large concentration of international NGOs and charities, particularly in Geneva. It’s not uncommon to see people on the streets asking for donations, but they will also have official identification and probably want you to sign up for more information. Some rogues will ask you to make a cash donation on the spot or sign a petition that requires a payment – this money won’t make its way to the cause you expect. Again, say no thanks, and walk away if you are in any doubt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.