Swedes are not always known for their humour. To the outside world Swedes are often seen as relatively cold, rational and perhaps a little serious. While it is true you probably will not see Swedes walk arm in arm down the street squealing with laughter, in the right environment Swedes love to laugh. Stockholmers enjoy the opportunity to go to comedy clubs and to laugh the night away. A number of them have shows in English, with great stand-up shows, comedic theatre, and comedy festivals in Stockholm that cater for people whose Swedish is either rusty or non-existent. Here are 11 of the best places to check out for comedy lovers in Stockholm.
This is one of the biggest names on the Stockholm comedy scene. In fact, it’s website declares it as Stockholm’s most known stand-up venue. It is a classic first stop on any tour of Stockholm’s stand up offerings, with shows several nights a week and with both regular and special guests. They have shown both in Swedish and English, and while their program does tend to feature more Swedes than non-Swedish comedians, there is more than enough comedy in English to enjoy. You can either check out their website or give them a call to ask when the next English performer will be on. Located in the north of the city, it is easy to reach by bus or by t-bana—with Odenplan being the nearest subway stop.
Norra Brunn Comedy Club, Surbrunnsgatan 33, Stockholm, +46 816 61 80
They “make Sweden funnier”—or at least that is what they claim as soon as you log onto their website. Not only do they have regular nights with English speaking comedians, they have a whole page on their website devoted to helping English speaking comedy lovers find shows they can attend. Some shows are in both languages with a mixture of Swedish and English speakers. They have at least five shows there a week, so you are sure to be able to find something that will make you smile and roll around laughing. Greg Pohler, brother of superstar Amy, will perform there on January 18 as part of their English Comedy Monday’s.
Stockholm Comedy Club at Södra sällskapet, Åsögatan 111, Stockholm, +46 705 54 9659
Stockholm Fringe Festival
As the name suggests, this is a festival rather than a club—however, it has a huge range of acts performing across the city in early September every year. There is stand-up comedy, comedic theatre and improv, so there is something for everyone. This year’s events included “Wisdomless,” which featured stand-up comedian Maria Shehata, Sameena Zehra with her hilarious show “Tea with Terrorists,” and Eleanor Conway’s brilliant performance “Walk with Shame”—all of which were in English. If you are in Stockholm in early September this festival is the best place to see comedy.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is less stand up and as the name suggests, more of an improv style comedy show. Thursday Night Improv is hosted by the International Theatre in Stockholm, meaning that their shows are nearly always in English. Their nights usually have three different comedy groups putting on shows for the audience, as well as two new acts hoping to refine their work. These newer groups face off against each other, and the audience is given the opportunity to vote for their favorite. The International Theatre has different locations for different shows, but this show is held at Cafe String in hipster Sodermalm.
Cafe String, Nytorgsgatan 38, Stockholm, +46 8714 85 14
This is another of Stockholm’s comedy clubs that aims to promote itself as the best in Stockholm, calling itself Sweden’s biggest comedy club—it certainly does have an extensive line-up. Many of its shows combine English- and Swedish-speaking comedians so you can get at least a taste for Swedish humor while also enjoying something you can understand a little better. Their website lists which comedians are playing each show—and if their biographies are written in English then they will perform in English. It is very easy to find, as it is in the Hilton, right next to Slussen metro station.
RAW Comedy, Hilton Stockholm Slussen, Guldgränd 8, Stockholm, +46 851 735 300
King Comedy Stockholm
King Comedy are fairly new to the Stockholm scene and emphasize the fact they are fresh, calling themselves Stockholm’s best underground scene. A night at a Kings Comedy event ensures you will be seeing the newest comedians. They only occasionally have acts in English; however, it is free entry and many of the events include an after party, making them well worth attending. Their events are hosted at King’s Table restaurant, which serves modern British cuisine. It is on Sveavagen, one of the largest and most exciting streets in Stockholm, and the restaurant is just down the road from Radmansgatan t-bana stop.
Kings Comedy at King’s Table, Sveavägen 64, Stockholm, +46 821 44 55
And now we have Sweden’s self-proclaimed funniest stand-up club. The confidence levels regarding their respective offerings are clearly very high among comedy clubs in Stockholm. At Maffia comedy, they are confident, as they always put on shows of the highest quality. The venue has been around for over a decade, making it one of Stockholm’s oldest clubs, and there is a good reason it has stood the test of time. Once again, the club has a mixture of languages, but if you check their listings on Ticketmaster you can see which shows are in English. It is located in the Scandic hotel, but it is steps away from Medborgarplatsen t-bana.
Another Stockholm stand-up club that doesn’t charge entry, Cash is a great venue if you want to see the freshest names on their way to stardom. Unfortunately, they do not list which comedians will be performing before each show on their Facebook page, but why not take a chance—it is free and in a great venue, so it is always worth checking out in case there are English speaking comedians on the bill. They host their nights in Sodermalm, at Green Bar on Hornsgatan, one of the area’s most happening streets.
Cash Comedy Club at Green Bar, Hornsgatan 81, 117 26 Stockholm, +46 8668 00 10
Lost in Translation
Another event hosted at the International Theatre, Lost in Translation is all about what it is like to live as a non-Swede in Sweden and is driven by audience suggestions. The theatre has been putting on this show for five consecutive years, due to its popularity. It is usually performed in October and November, with at least eight shows per year. If you are in Stockholm around that time and looking for something hilarious, then it is the perfect show for you. It is held at Boulevardteatern on the lovely island of Kungsholmen.
Boulevardteatern , Götgatan 73, Stockholm, +46 8642 98 00
C.B. Comedy hosts a night every Wednesday and is on the same street as both Maffia Comedy and the Big Ben pub—so you could have a comedy club crawl if you wanted to! It has a very local and relaxed atmosphere, and is a small club mostly frequented by new or improving comedians. Some nights have as many as ten comedians, so there is always something for everyone. Again, make sure to check their Facebook page to see who is playing before.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.