Kungsholmen, one of the largest islands in Stockholm, has been quite successful in promoting tourism. The area was once used as an industrial district. However, due to the rapid increase in Stockholm’s population, it was transformed into a residential area. At present, housing and institutional buildings dominate the area. Of course, there are also lots of fascinating spots where you can have a look into Stockholm’s history and culture.
A park with a great view of the harbor If you are looking for a picturesque venue for a relaxing afternoon, then Rålambshovsparken is surely the place for you. Rålambshovsparken is very popular among the locals and Swedes come here to do all sorts of outdoor activities, such as playing soccer and picnicing. The park gives you a fantastic view of the City Hall and Gamla Stan, which are the two of the most fascinating tourist destinations in the Swedish capital. There is also a bridge connecting the park and the Södermalm region, where you can have a relaxing walk and enjoy the breathtaking scenery. Kungsholmen, 112 35 Stockholm, Sweden
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Fashion store with live music and vintage fashion items Kungsholmen is a great place for shopping lovers, and Grandpa is surely the perfect shop to introduce you to the area. There are numerous fashion items and a wide variety of styles that you can choose from. You can find possibly everything about fashion, including accessories, vintage designer products, clothes and shoes. What’s more exciting is that this fashion store often features live music and DJs, giving you a chic and modern atmosphere while you are making your fashion statement. Opening hours: Mon-Fri 11am-7pm; Sat 11am-5pm; Sun 12pm-4pm Fridhemsgatan 43,112 46 Stockholm, +46 86436081
Nostalgic café-bar with fabulous cocktails If you are looking for a cozy and chic place for meetings and social gatherings, you must not miss Orangeriet. Orangeriet is situated in the heart of Kungsholmen and is ready to give you a memorable gathering with its artistic and nostalgic ambience. A vintage fireplace, oversized sofas, great cocktails and friendly hospitality are all essentials to bring you an impressive rendezvous. What’s more exciting is that the mixologist in the cocktail bar is experienced, and can always make you an imaginative and mind blowing cocktail for a relaxing evening. Price: mid-range Opening hours: Mon-Tue 4pm-11am; Wed-Fri 4pm-1am; Sat 11.30am-1am; Sun 11.30am-10pm Norrmälarstrand Kajplats 464, 11220 Stockholm, +46 850524475
An elegant building to introduce noble history in Sweden Situated in a royal and elegant building founded in the 1600s, Riddar Huset, which means the ‘Nobility House’, is a palace and an organization exclusively designed for nobles in Sweden, and its objective is to preserve Swedish history and heritage. The main sections of this exquisite building are the Great Hall, the Ante Room and the Reception Room. The sections are designed to facilitate your understanding of Sweden’s noble families, their history, and their contribution to the society. Opening hours: 11am-12pm daily Riddarhustorget 10, 111 28 Stockholm, Sweden, +46 87233990
Chocolate experts A big shout out to all Chocolate lovers. Choco Chocolate must be a heaven for you. Behind the counter of this little shop beside the City Hall is Alma, who is fascinated about chocolate craftsmanship. This shop runs chocolate courses and chocolate tasting programmes, which allow you get a glimpse of how chocolate is made and what kind of characteristics great chocolate has. There is a huge variety of chocolate in this petite shop, so make sure you check out every single one of them, and have a sweet and lovely day. Opening hours: depends on your enrolment Parmmatargatan 5, Stockholm, Stockholm 112 24, Sweden, +46 706575533
Sunbathing under the Nordic sun Even though you are travelling to a Scandinavian nation up in the north of Europe, you can always enjoy the perfect sunshine with on a picturesque beach. That’s what you can find in Kungsholmen. Smedsuddsbadet is a nice and petite beach located right next to the Rålambshov Park. It is popular among the locals, especially those who are enthusiastic about swimming and sunbathing. The amenities for visitors are great, so if you are looking for a place to swim and chill out under the sun, this beach is surely the best in the region. Smedsudden, Rålambshov, Stoccolma, Sweden
A challenge of patience and intelligence Have you ever imagined you are stuck in a room and can’t get out? Now here’s a new kind of entertainment that brings you this kind of experience. All you need to get out of the room are your patience and intelligence. Questrooms operate various kind of real-life room escape programs for you and your friends to have a memorable and exciting day. Questrooms feature two main themes, Prison Break and the Haunted Photo Lab. You can book in advance to ensure that you get the best time slot. Opening hours: depends on your booking Sankt Eriksgatan 33A, Stockholm, +46 762002570
The heart of Stockholm’s legal system Located right next to Rådhuset metro station is Stockholms Rådhus, which is the centre of Stockholm’s legal system, the courthouse. Aside from getting to know more about the legal system of Sweden, the architecture and the outlook of the courthouse is also appealing. The building was designed with the influence of Romantic architectural styles and the style of castles in Vasa era. The dark yellow walls and orange rooftops make the building look vibrant with a Scandinavian touch. Scheelegatan 7, 112 28 Stockholm, Sweden, +46 856165000
Sweden’s tariff and smuggling history You must have passed through customs while you are travelling, but have you ever imagined there is a museum dedicated merely the introduction of customs? Tullmuseum, which is the Customs Office Museum in Kungsholmen, showcases how this is done, and you are going to be a customs expert after your visit. The customs museum presents the history of tariffs in Stockholm, smuggling in the past, and how customs checks are carried out today. There are also temporary exhibitions held from time to time, make sure you check them out in advance. Opening hours: Tue-Wed and Sun 11am-4pm Alströmergatan 39, 112 47 Stockholm, Sweden, +46 86530503 By Billy Lok Ming Poon
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.