The craft beer scene took off some years ago in Barcelona and today there are a number of small batch and micro-breweries operating across the Catalan capital. Whether you’re a fan of hoppy IPAs or an old-fashioned lager, these are some of the best beers to sample when in Barcelona.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Moreneta Blonde by BarnaBrew
Another small brewery started in Barcelona, BarnaBrew recently opened a bar on the popular Parlament Street in Sant Antoni. The Moreneta Blonde is a Belgian-style blonde beer with aromas of orange blossom from honey made in Catalonia. It was awarded the Gold Medal for Abbey/Trappist-style blonde beers in the 2014 Brussels Beer Challenge.
Culture Trip by Garage Beer
With a name like that, there was no chance of us not falling in love with Garage Beer Co.’s ‘Culture Trip’ beer. A Florida-style Berliner Weisse, this fruit sour beer is flavoured with raspberries for a smooth, red fruit finish. At 3.5% ABV this is a light beer with a crisp, refreshing flavour.
Bogatell Blonde by Barcino Brewers
An easy-drinking blonde ale, the ‘Bogatell Blonde‘ – named after Bogatell beach near Poblenou – is made using wheat and a special yeast from the south of Germany where beers of this kind are typical. Light and refreshing with a 4.9% ABV, the beer hasn’t been infused with fruit or spices, letting the cereals do all the talking instead.
1480 by Blacklab Brew Pub
One of the first Brew Pubs in Barcelona, Blacklab is located by the waterfront of the Marina Port Vell harbour in the centre of Barcelona. The 1480 is a malty American Pale Ale with a fair amount of hops to give it just the right amount of bitterness and complexity. The perfect accompaniment to one of Blacklab’s famous burgers or BBQ ribs.
Sants by Homo Sibaris
Homo Sibaris is not your typical Barcelona craft beer bar. Located in the off-the-beaten-track neighbourhood of Sants, the bar has a mostly local clientele and was one of the first places to introduce craft beer to the capital. The Sants beer is a tribute to their own neighbourhood and is a full-flavoured unfiltered bitter.
Cerdos Voladores by Barcelona Beer Company
This small artisan brewery based in Barcelona prides itself on making good, honest beers inspired by the city it’s based in. The ‘Cerdos Voladores’ or ‘Flying Pigs’ beer is a 6% ABV pale ale made using natural spring water from the Montseny natural park in Catalonia.
Estrella by Estrella Damm
Perhaps the most popular beer in Barcelona, you’ll see the gold star of Estrella nearly everywhere you go. The biggest and most commercially distributed lager made in Barcelona, Estrella Damm has been made to the same recipe since 1870. Not the most interesting of beers but if you’re going to try it anywhere you might as well do so in Barcelona.
Moritz by Moritz
While not a small-batch brewery, Moritz is nonetheless much less widely distributed than its rival Estrella Damm. The classic Moritz beer is a low-fermentation pilsner with noticeable hops and hints of citrus and a slightly sweet aftertaste. The Moritz factory in the Sant Antoni neighbourhood is no longer the main site of production but is today a popular place to grab a drink and soak up some of the brewery atmosphere.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.