Whether it’s jaw-dropping architecture, mouth-watering tapas or that cool, Mediterranean atmosphere – here are 11 reasons why Barcelona is truly unmissable.
To admire the Sagrada Família
The most spectacular – and controversial – of Antoni Gaudí’s modernist masterpieces, the Sagrada Família has been under construction for over 100 years and is not expected to be completed until about 2026. Rich in religious symbolism intertwined with themes of nature and unusual geometric forms, this is one of the most visually arresting monuments you’ll find in Europe.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
To discover the hidden alleyways of the Gothic Quarter
The historic city centre was almost entirely remodelled in the 18th and 19th centuries, when it received its Neoclassical and Neo-Gothic appearance. While there are must-see monuments, such as the Gothic cathedral, on any route through the neighbourhood, it’s the often-overlooked quirks that give the area its real charm. A cursed skull and bones, a controversial letter-box and the mysterious 13 geese of the cathedral cloister are some of the hidden nuggets to look out for.
For contemporary art and street art
The presence of artists such as Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dalí helped give Barcelona its reputation as a noteworthy artistic city, but the city’s contemporary art scene has very much consolidated its status. The MACBA is Barcelona’s cutting-edge contemporary art museum and one of the most well-regarded institutions of its kind in Europe. On the other hand, there are a plethora of respectable art galleries representing emerging and mid-career artists from Spain and abroad. Last but not least, the street art in Barcelona attracts artists – and admirers – from across the world.
To enjoy the culinary legacy of Ferran Adrià
Deemed one of the most forward-thinking chefs of our time, Ferran Adrià led the elBulli restaurant on the Costa Brava, voted the best restaurant in the world a record five times. While that restaurant is no longer open, the legacy of Ferran Adrià and his disciples lives on in Barcelona’s contemporary dining scene, with restaurants such as Dos Palillos, Alkimia and Tickets continuing the tradition of culinary innovation.
For the collection at the Joan Miró museum
Joan Miró was a leading Surrealist artist who was born and raised in Barcelona before later moving to France and Majorca. He is famous for his bold artwork conceived using vivid primary colours to create scenes – often described as nearly childlike. He was involved in the creation of the Joan Miró Foundation, which sits atop Montjuïc and is home to the largest collection of his work open to the public.
For the live-music scene
In recent years, Barcelona has successfully established itself as a rival to the likes of Berlin for its live-music scene. Two of the world’s most well-regarded music festivals – Sónar and Primavera Sound – take place here each spring, while the rest of the year sees the hottest DJs of the moment regularly perform at clubs such as Razzmatazz and Sala Apolo.
For the food stalls of the Boqueria Market
There are few food markets in the world quite like the Boqueria Market, which stands on Las Ramblas. This 19th-century building was conceived by local town planners and was initially designed to contain mainly meat and fish stalls. While today’s shoppers can find everything from exotic fruit to rare spices under its covers, the fish carousel at the centre of the building remains one of the highlights of this spectacular edifice.
To shop on Passeig de Gràcia
Sometimes described as the Champs-Élysées of Barcelona, the Passeig de Gràcia is the city’s designer-shopping hotspot. Stretching from the Plaça de Catalunya up to the trendy Gràcia neighbourhood, the boulevard is home to some of the most fashionable and well-regarded designer labels in the world, including Chanel, Stella McCartney and Gucci.
For the Camp Nou stadium
Not only is it the home of one of the world’s most famous football teams, Camp Nou is also the largest stadium in Europe with a capacity of just under 100,000. The stadium is open to the public for the Camp Nou Experience, which includes a tour of the stadium and a visit to the FC Barcelona Museum, which contains trophies, memorabilia and original football shirts.
For the nightlife in El Raval
One of the most vibrant and multicultural neighbourhoods in Barcelona, El Raval was once considered a no-go area in the city. Today, it’s home to a thriving arts community and some of the best nightlife in the city, thanks to its mixture of hipster hang-outs and underground bars. Start on the Carrer Joaquin Costa and then let the night guide you.
For a city break and beach holiday all in one
There are few cities in Europe where you can enjoy the culture and vibrancy of a city break with the fun and relaxation of a beach holiday, yet Barcelona offers the best of both worlds, thanks to its location right on the Mediterranean coastline. Hire a boat for the day and discover the beauty of the Costa Brava and be back in time for dinner at a Michelin-star restaurant and late-night cocktails afterwards.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.