Let’s face it, skiing can be one of the most costly holidays around – there are air fares, equipment rental, lift passes, and that’s all before you’ve even paid for accommodation and food. Spain is already a cheap ski destination compared to places in France, Austria and Switzerland, however we’ve been looking at the cheapest and most affordable places to ski in Spain, to help you out even further.
The ski passes at El Morredero are among the cheapest in Spain at just €12 for adults and €9 for children. Located in northwestern Castilla y León, it may not be the best pick of the bunch, with just 4km of slopes and two lifts, however if you’re a beginner or want a cheap ski break for your young family, this could be a great option.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Estación de Montaña Lunada
Situated in the province of Burgos, the ski station of Lunada, again offers great value ski passes at just €17 for adults and €15 for children. The slight rise in price is reflected in the facilities, as this one offers 3km of slopes and a further 4.5km off piste. There are five ski lifts to take passengers up the mountains and runs suitable for beginners, intermediates and advanced skiers, although it’s probably more geared towards intermediates.
Oca Nova Manzaneda
Oca Nova Manzaneda ski station can be found in Galicia, not far from the city of Ourense. It offers 10km of slopes, and a ski pass costs €22 for adults and €15 for children. It’s best suited to beginner skiers with 8km of easy green runs and just 2km of intermediate runs.
Vallter 2000 is a great family-friendly ski resort, located in the Pyrenees, in the north of Catalonia, one of the best areas for skiing in Spain. Even though it offers 10.4km of slopes and a further 6.3km of ski routes, it’s still great value at just €25 for a ski pass for adults and €17 for children. Not only can ski here, but also snowboard, snowshoe, sledge and free ride. It’s best for beginners and intermediates, but also offers slopes for advanced skiers too.
Spain’s region of La Rioja is better known for wine than it is for mountains and ski slopes, however it’s home to one great-value ski resort – Valdezcaray. It offers a whopping 22km of slopes for both skiers and snowboarders with nine lifts. The ski passes here cost €28 for adults and €19 for children. It’s best suited to beginners and intermediates, although there are 2km of difficult slopes for those more advanced.
La Covatilla – Sierra de Béjar
The Covatilla – Sierra de Béjar ski station is located in the village of Sierra de Béjar, on the edge of Sierra de Gredos mountain range, one hour south of the city of Salamanca. Ski passes cost €29 for adults and €20 for children, great value for the vast 26.8km of slopes available. The ski resort is perfect for intermediates especially, however you won’t find too many extra challenging runs if you’re an expert.
Valgrande Parajes is located in the mountainous region of Asturias, home of the vast Picos de Europa Natural Park. The resort offers 25km of slopes with nine lifts and has a good range of runs for beginners, intermediates and even advanced skiers. It’s great value at €29 for adults and €23 for children.
Vall de Núria
Another good resort in the Catalan Pyrenees, is Vall de Núria. Despite having just 7km of slopes, it has five lifts and facilities for both skiers and snowboarders. The ski passes here are not bad value at €30 for adults and €22.50 for children. The resort is best for beginners and intermediates, although it does offer some slopes for more advanced skiers too.
Alto Campoo is located in a charming village in Cantabria, very close to the edge of Castilla y León. Passes here cost €30 for adults and €19 for children, and give access to 27.7 km of slopes and 13 lifts. It’s great for both skiing and snowboarding, and is best for beginners and intermediates, although there are 3.2km of slopes for those snow masters.
San Isidro-Zona Cebolledo
San Isidro-Zona Cebolledo can be found in the region of Castilla y León, and is ideal for skiing and snowboarding. Again it’s an affordable ski resort with ski passes for €30 for adults and €26 for children. It offers 20.8km of slopes and 3.5km of ski routes, and has a total of seven lifts. This is a perfect resort for people of all abilities.
Lastly, we’re back in the Catalan Pyrenees again, this time at Espot Esquí. This too is ideal for skiing and snowboarding, and offers 23.5km of slopes and four lifts. This may be the most expensive ski resort on our list with ski passes for €32 for adults and €26 for children, but it still offers great value compared to some of the other resorts you’ll find in nearby Andorra and France.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.