Picos de Europa, a national park located in the north of Spain between Cantabria, Asturias and Castilla y León, is one of the least known and most underrated areas of the country. The mountainous peaks in the region are said to have been one of the first things sailors would see on their return to Europe from the Americas, which is how they got their name. Here’s why you should visit the Picos de Europa at least once in your life.
It’s filled with spectacular dramatic scenery
Picos de Europa is characterised by high massifs, deep ravines, lush mountain meadows and vast glassy lakes. It’s both a photographer’s and a nature lover’s dream.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It’s home to the best hiking routes in Spain
Picos de Europa is home to some of the best hiking routes in the whole of Spain. This includes day-hikes such as the stunning Cares Route, which runs along the Divine Gorge and is around 12 kilometres (7.4 miles) long. Others worth noting are the route from the Fuente Dé cable car, which soars past the peaks of Tesorero, Horcados Rojos and Peña Vieja, as well as the Ordiales Scenic Balcony Trail, offering some of the most beautiful vistas and measuring 11.2 kilometres (6.9 miles) in just one direction.
You can get to it by train
Many national parks cannot be visited by public transport, but fortunately, Picos de Europa is accessible via a train station at the park’s gateway—Cagas de Onis. If you’re coming from Madrid, you can hop on the train in the Asturian capital of Oviedo, which will take you zipping past the mountainous peaks in comfort.
A visit here allows you to experience three different regions
The Picos de Europa National Park sits between three unique and very different Spanish regions—Asturias, Cantabria and Castilla y León—and is therefore the perfect place to start your exploration of all three. Asturias is known for its rolling green countryside, delicious cheeses and cider, while Cantabria is known for its dramatic coastline and traditional fishing villages. Castilla y León is a historic region dotted with magnificent castles, palaces and famous cities such as Salamanca.
It’s home to an array of wildlife
The national park is home to a host of wildlife, and if you’re lucky, you may be able to spot some. One of the most common sights is the majestic golden eagle, which typically soars above the mountains, or the chamois hiding in the high rocky ledges of the mountains, showing off its magnificent horns. There are also deer, wild boar, bats in the caves and owls in the forest. In the mountain streams, you’ll find everything from otters, trout and salmon to alpine newts and snakes.
It’s a recognised UNESCO Biosphere Reserve
The Picos de Europa National Park is so spectacular, that it’s been recognised by UNESCO and declared as a Biosphere Reserve.
The Picos de Europa National Park is a great place to try out a variety of adventure sports. As well as hiking, there’s everything from via ferrata and canyoning to caving, mountain climbing and kayaking. Weather you’re a novice or an expert, you’re sure to find something here that you love.
You can experience tiny isolated villages in the mountains
Surprisingly, the high passes of Picos de Europa are actually home to a few villages. One of the most well known is the village of Bulnes, which up until 2001, was only reachable by hiking up a steep narrow mountain path. Today, there is a funicular railway that travels across the mountains from Poncebos.
Known as the Covadonga Lakes, Lakes Enol and Ercina are two of the most beautiful sights in the park. Surrounded by green pastures of cows and wild horses in summer and snowcapped peaks in winter, they are stunning during any season. To see them up close, take the Covadonga hiking route around the lakes from the Covadonga Sanctuary. It measures 12 kilometres (7 miles) to reach the first lake, but is definitely worth the effort.
To visit the Royal Site of Covadonga
The Royal Site of Covadonga is located at the western edge of Picos de Europa, in the Picos de Cornión, and is visited by thousands of people every year. It’s located in a mountain grotto and features an image of the Virgin Mary.
It’s the perfect place to get away from it all
The Picos de Europa National Park is the perfect place to simply get away from everything and relax. If the crowded sights of Madrid or Barcelona become too much during your visit to Spain, a trip to this natural sanctuary is exactly what you need.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.