An early trendsetter of Spain’s tourism industry, Mallorca continues to be a holiday destination rivaled by few others. With its countless sun-drenched beaches, perennial blue skies and rich historical heritage, hikers, climbers and cyclists are drawn to this Balearic island. To top it all, its capital Palma has blossomed into one of the buzziest and most cosmopolitan in Europe. Here is our expert round-up of places to stay to suit every type of traveller.
Surrounded by leafy woods on the island’s most easterly tip, the Predi Son Jaumell Hotel Rural exudes an undeniable feeling of remoteness. The immaculately updated 16th-century country house is set in extensive herb-scented gardens, centred on a heated pool lined with loungers and daybeds. Michelin-starred chef Andreu Genestra weaves his magic in the kitchen, with many ingredients homegrown in the surrounding fields. After lunch, go for a hammock snooze under the dappled light of an olive tree or take a long walk through unspoiled nature. Bliss.
The splendid centrepiece to a huge 800-acre country estate, the Carrossa Hotel Spa Villas is a beautifully restored manor house dating back over three centuries. Sumptuous suites and luxury villas make up the accommodation, while a 20-metre infinity pool offers a dreamy spot to soak or sunbathe. The serenely bucolic setting – a few kilometres from Artà town – provides some wonderful views across this corner of the island. Head to the restaurant’s elevated terrace for an eyeline all the way to the sea.
The picturesque town of Artà is increasingly becoming a tourist destination in its own right, and the high quality of hotels reflects this. This adults-only boutique property, built as a grand townhouse in the 18th century, has all the architectural elegance typical of its kind. Guest rooms are finished in calming tones, while blending modern angles effortlessly with period features. A secluded garden offers a strip of water to cool off in amongst tall cypress trees and aloe vera plants.
Es Revellar proudly declares itself the only art resort in Spain, and you’ll find one of the largest art collections on Mallorca on display here. The sprawling 600-year-old estate – located in the rural town of Campos in south-east Mallorca – is made up of 12 buildings spread over almost eight acres of grounds, and contains thousands of pieces of art to admire as you stroll around. Most of the guest rooms are as colourful and individual as the artworks, with others steeped in rustic old-world charm.
El Llorenç Parc de la Mar has certainly brought something new to Palma’s already impressive collection of high-end boutique hotels. Celebrating the island’s Moorish past, geometric latticework features as a motif throughout, mingling with glitzy splashes and modern art. Making the most of its position on the city’s ancient ramparts, Palma’s only rooftop infinity pool boasts broad views over the bay. An impressive spa also provides instant serenity, while the DINS restaurant has been awarded a Michelin gong.
The guiding philosophy at Finca S’Estelrica is all about harmony with nature. This traditional Mallorcan stone finca (country estate), situated near the pretty town of Artà, has been lovingly converted into an eco-farmhouse designed to complement the natural countryside surroundings. Guests are encouraged to discover the farm’s vast estate, brimming with figs trees, pines, and holm oaks, or explore further afield from one of the many trails that surround the property. Alternatively, just lounge by the gorgeous infinity pool and order another glass of locally produced vino.
Formerly a 19th-century townhouse in the tiny village of Caimari, this family-run guesthouse has lost little of its quaint rustic charm. Updated interiors are contemporary yet cosy, a mood that continues into the four double bedrooms. It’s run by married couple Rosi and Andy, who provide a buffet breakfast for guests each morning and are always available around the clock. Located at the foothills of the Tramuntana mountain range, it’s particularly popular amongst hikers and cyclists.
Converted from an 18th-century oil mill, Ca’s Xorc was reborn as a luxury country retreat. The property is still encompassed by lemon trees and olive groves, while its position on a remote hillside overlooking Sóller valley gives a genuine sense of disconnection from the modern world. A large infinity pool provides scenic panoramas while you soak, and the surrounding landscape offers endless exploration of the region’s natural beauty.
The Cap Rocat stands out as one of the most lauded hotels on Mallorca. Forged out of the sandstone cliff to guard entry to Palma Bay, the ancient fortress was transformed into a strikingly unique luxury hotel. Filled with sunlight and saltwater pools, the spa was carved down into the bedrock and feels like entering another world. It’s all set within a protected nature reserve and a haven of seclusion and tranquility, and has sea views you’ll never tire of gazing at.
As the name suggests, everything about Ecocirer is geared towards healthy eating and sustainability – every element in the property is 100% recycled. The husband and wife team behind the ecohotel have crafted an experience more akin to a homestay, where guests are encouraged to wind down to a slower rhythm and breathe in the magical atmosphere of the Sóller valley setting. A scattering of quirky and colourful art adds to the uniqueness of this rather special hotel.
On a budget? check out the best hostels in Mallorca, bookable on Culture Trip. Going to Mallorca for a special weekend? Check out our romantic adult-only hotel selections, or if you need to cut the costs, head to the best budget hotels on the island – all are bookable through Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.