Mallorca, one of Spain’s Balearic Islands, boasts scenic Mediterranean beaches, historic towns – like Palma – and rolling mountains. Relax after adventures and beach days at these hostels in Mallorca where you’ll find excellent facilities, good-vibe communal areas and unique events to introduce you to the area and other travellers – now bookable on Culture Trip.
This beautifully restored Sóller modernist building retains historic features like overhead wooden beams and exposed brick and boasts fabulous rural town views. You’ll love the communal areas here, like the fire-lit dining room with scatter cushions, beanbags and books. Here to adventure? Hike or rent a bike from the hotel and cycle the staff-recommended routes, working up an appetite for dinner – which is included with your stay. Get involved in cooking classes and treat yourself to a refreshing drink from the well-stocked bar.
Family-run Ca’s Bombu – located on the pretty Cala Rajada fishing port since 1885 – features monochrome tiled floors and wooden beams in traditional rooms and shared areas. Meet fellow guests by the garden terrace, pool and bar and challenge them to a game of table tennis or billiards. The antique-scattered dining room has grandfather clocks and Mahogany cabinets, while big sliding doors lead to a leafy terrace. Enjoy a complimentary buffet breakfast when you book three nights or more.
This youth hostel – in a former convent in picturesque Santa Catalina – is minimalist-yet-stylish. Think high ceilings, comfy sofas, stylish geometric pattern rugs and a pool table in the common area. Cook up a storm in the guest kitchen with local ingredients – and invite friends, old and new, to join you at the long dining table. Spend some time exploring the historic region: the oldest market in Palma is nearby.
The travel-loving brothers who run this El Terreno-based youth hostel help guests experience authentic Mallorca – through conferences with locals, Spanish cooking workshops, local beer tastings, weekly live music and Palma information panels throughout the hotel. They’ll help you organise off-site activities like diving, plus you can rent out one of their vehicles. There’s plenty of places to chill at this sustainability-conscious house – from the solarium’s hammocks to the well-stocked games room. Book the Galactic Room for unique, space-style beds.
There’s everything you need here at this simple but well-equipped, family-friendly hostel in Mallorca. Cook in the shared kitchenette and choose one of the many tables to tuck in. There’s a vending machine for snacks and a lounge with a TV and sofa. Dorm rooms – including a female-only option – come with plenty of locker space, hotel-wide WiFi and laundry facilities. You’ll also love the location: restaurants and sites are a short walk away, including the port and Bellver Castle. Hire a bike for further exploration around town.
With a 5.5km (3.4mi) Blue Flag beach just 30m (98ft) away, Hostal Tierramar in El Arenal is perfect for seaside lovers. Start your day with a continental breakfast before hitting the family-friendly Playa De Palma to sunbathe, swim or try adrenaline-pumping watersports. Once you’re all sunned out, hit the hotel bar serving snacks and cocktails, or hang out with a book or game of pool. Simple, colourful rooms have private bathrooms here and some even feature seaview balconies.
Saturno is another great option for beach bums, as it’s 50m (164ft) from the blue waters and soft sand of Cala Millor. Wind up plant-speckled stairs to a comfortable en-suite room, some with seaview balconies. You’re nearby plenty of shops and eateries – you’ll get a discount at the adjoining Rose & Crown Bar – plus Cala Bona fishing port is a 20-minute walk. Historic Son Servera town is a 10-minute drive – there’s free public parking near this family-run hotel and they rent bicycles out, too.
This is a rewrite of an article originally by Esme Fox.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.