The Catalan capital has plenty to keep visitors entertained whatever the season, but that’s no reason to not get out and explore the countryside. Autumn is an especially rewarding time of year to discover Catalonia as the trees turn spectacular shades of yellow, orange and red, and mushroom season comes into full swing. Here’s our pick of the top spots to get away from it all.
Undoubtedly one of the most charming medieval villages in Catalonia, Besalú is steeped in history dating back to the early Middle Ages. Sitting on the shores of the Fluvià river, the ancient town centre has kept many of its original features including irrigated vegetable gardens attached to the 10th century Benedictine monastery and a charming main square replete with cute cafés and traditional restaurants.
One of the easiest ways to get to the great outdoors from Barcelona, Montseny Natural Park can easily be accessed by train from Barcelona in around an hour. The small town of La Garriga harbours some Modernist gems and respectable restaurants, as well as offering easy access to numerous walks in the park. In the autumn the trees turn an impressive array of colours and there are some good foraging spots scattered around.
Located to the north of Barcelona towards the Pyrenees, La Garrotxa Volcanic Park is known for its unusual landscape shaped by volcanoes and rich in flora and fauna. To the south of la Garrotxa, the town of Olot makes a good base from which to explore the nearby Medieval villages of Castellfollit de la Roca and Santa Pau. To the north, the Alta Garrotxa is the perfect place to go for long strolls among the forests and waterfalls before the snow settles in the winter. La Garrotxa is also famous for its gastronomy rich in local ingredients such as Santa Pau beans, mushrooms and local wines.
Come October, the area known as El Poblet transforms into one of the mushroom hunting capitals of Catalonia, hosting the only foraging spot which requires visitors to pay a small fee (€3 per person). Said to produce an average of 80kg (176 lbs) of mushroom per hectare at its best, El Poblet also boasts a historic monastery open to the public. The nearest train station to El Poblet is L’Espluga de Francolí which also offers a choice of rural hotels and bed and breakfasts.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This port town located to the north of Catalonia, not far from the border with France, is picture perfect whatever the time of year. The white coloured houses which line the harbour of Cadaqués stand out against the azure waters of the Costa Brava, and on good days right up until the end of October you could find yourself tempted by a swim. Frequently visited by the artist Salvador Dalí in his childhood, the town has a strong artistic history which only adds to its romantic charm.
Slightly further afield – located in the region of Aragon – but easily accessed via the high-speed AVE train in just an hour and a half from Barcelona, Zaragoza is famous for its historic monuments, gastronomy and local culture. The Fiestes del Pilar is one of the largest celebrations in the city, lasting a week every October and involves parades, religious celebrations and a large firework show to close the festival. The architecture of Zaragoza boasts examples of Mudéjar and Arabic art from the time when the Moors conquered the city and the city’s historic charm is easy to admire in the gentle sun of the autumn.
One of the oldest cities in Catalonia, Tarragona has been inhabited since the time of the Ancient Romans and today there are many UNESCO World Heritage sites open to the public. The second century Roman amphitheatre is by far one of the most impressive sights, as well as the Les Ferres aqueduct located some 2 km (1.24 miles) out of town. From more recent times, the 12th century cathedral is a fine example of Catalan Gothic style. A university city, the autumn time is a buzzing time to visit Tarragona as students return to fill lecture halls as well as bars and cafés around the Plaça de la Font, Plaça del Rei and Plaça del Fòrum.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.