Not only is Spanish music diverse and unique, but listening to it is one of the cooler ways to learn the language. Whether you want to brush up on your Spanish skills or just expand your Spotify horizons, here are some suggestions to get you acquainted with some of Spain’s best contemporary artists.
These Madrid alt-rockers add a little drop of darkness to every track. Nudozurdo are an indie sensation in Spain right now after spending the past five years building a solid reputation with a string of well-received albums. They got their first break after writing just four songs and winning a competition, and have since gone from strength to strength.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This enigmatic twosome from Cordoba combine electronic beats, flamenco style and a splash of soul to create something truly unique, placing them firmly at the cutting edge of Spanish indie music. They are now touring internationally.
With their eclectic style and hypnotic live performances, Pony Bravo have been wowing crowds across Spain and Europe with lyrics commenting on society, culture and politics. Their unique sound draws on rock, flamenco, jazz, electronic, blues and reggae to totally defy classification. Their entire discography has been recorded under their own label, El Rancho Casa de Discos, and released for free under a Creative Commons license.
Formerly called Deers, this female indie-pop group are now known as Hinds (a hind being a female deer). Their sound blends pop with low-fi, indie and garage rock. They released their first album, Leave Me Alone, in 2016 after their first world tour.
Triángulo de Amor Bizarro
This stand-out Spanish rock band is becoming known for powerful live performances. Their name is taken from the New Order song ‘Bizarre Love Triangle’, and they cite the British shoegaze movement of the 80s as a major influence. They’ve toured with the likes of My Bloody Valentine and were awarded best album of 2017 by the Association of Music Journalists of Spain.
El Guincho is the stage name of artist Pablo Díaz-Reixa, who hails from the Canary Islands and also plays in Barcelona-based band Coconot. His own music fuses calypso, dub, Afrobeat and indie rock to create a bubbling, upbeat sound that he describes as ‘space-age exotica’. His most recent offering, the Hiperasia album released in 2016, was reportedly inspired by his fascination with a strip of Chinese bazaars in Madrid.
One Spanish band any serious music fan needs to know about is Los Planetas. These indie legends started out in Granada in 1993 and were instrumental in the explosive growth of Spain’s indie scene. Their iconic albums, including Una Semana en el Motor de un Autobús, are often cited as an influence among the country’s new generation of indie rockers.
Fusing R&B, chill-wave and soul, John Grvy – the alias of Madrid-born J.E. Edward – creates smooth sounds with soft vocals and addictive synth and electronic beats. He’s performed at Spanish and international festivals including Benicassim, Kutxa Kultur, and made it to SXSW last year.
The New Raemon
Another important name in the Spanish indie scene is the eccentric, hyper-creative Ramón Rodriguez, who has been producing music under stage name The New Raemon since 2007. Between 2007-2015 he recorded at least one album a year, often collaborating with various other artists, while also illustrating comics on the side. After burning out he has now stopped touring, but fans hold out eternal hope of a comeback.
The Barcelona-based foursome Da Souza released their debut EP in 2013 and have since gone from strength to strength, becoming a big name in the local music scene. The group are originally from the island of Mallorca, which has obviously had a huge influence on their music, evocative of long summer nights spent on the beach.
Dulce Pájara de Juventud
Childhood friends from the industrial outskirts of Barcelona, the four members of Dulce Pájara de Junventud have been building their reputation in Spain since releasing their eponymous debut rock album in 2011.
This group are known for epic live performances thanks to their own brand of atmospheric instrumental rock. Their last album, Superball Music, had a heavier sound and was hailed by critics as one of Spain’s best ever rock releases.
When Nalda Became Punk
Beginning in 2006 as a solo indie-pop project, vocalist/guitarist Elena Sestelo of When Nalda Became Punk was joined by guitarist Roberto Cibeira in 2011. In 2013, the pair released their debut album, A Farewell to Youth, and their 2016 EP Those Words Broke Our Hearts blends indie pop with fuzzy guitars, synth and electronic beats.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.