No matter how well travelled you are it seems that scammers and con-artists are always coming up with new ways to help themselves to your money or valuables. Not only does falling prey to these scams risk ruining your holiday, it also encourages scammers and makes it more likely that they’ll strike again. Keep your belongings safe and save yourself the frustration by avoiding these common scams in Spain.
The sob story
There are infinite variations on this common scam but all involve someone catching your attention with a true sob story and ultimately asking for your financial help. They will explain that they were robbed and left without papers or money to get home and may ask if you could lend them money to get to the police station / contact their family / etc.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
No price menu
There are a number of ways which some restaurants try to con tourists, one of which is to get diners to order off a menu with no prices. This could either be a board hanging from the wall with ‘daily specials’ or a hand-out menu with no prices printed. The restaurant may seem inexpensive but it won’t be the case when you get handed the bill. By law restaurants need to have their prices on display and don’t hesitate to ask for the price of any dish if you’re not sure.
The pea and cup street game scam
This is a well-known scam which has caught many a traveller out around the world. You come across a person with three cups under which they hide a small ball or pea, leaving those watching the game to guess under which cup the ball is. After a few rounds you will realise you knew each time where the ball was and might decide to give it a go yourself. However, the person will then use distractions to change the ball’s location and leave you out of pocket as you realise the other people participating were in on the scam too.
The football scam
This is more of a sly pickpocketing technique than a full blown scam and involves a group of people playing football. They may come up to you and suggest you get involved in the match. While you’re caught up in the game some of the players will take advantage of the situation to help themselves to the contents of your pockets.
The petition scam
Another common pickpocketing technique involves a group of people soliciting you to sign a petition. The bogus petition will usually be for some charitable cause and they may even ask you to make a ‘donation’ there and then. However, more likely they will simply take advantage of the cover of the petition papers and your state of distraction to search your pockets for any valuables.
The lucky rosemary
Typically this scam involves older ladies standing around popular tourist sites or religious sites handing out small pieces of rosemary, apparently for good luck. The twig will be thrust in your hand and then you will be asked to make a donation for the ‘gift’. If you refuse they will start to make quite a scene so you will more than likely agree to give them a few cents. However, while your wallet is out you may find that the ladies help themselves to more than just the few coins you were intending for them.
The fake restaurant voucher
This straight-forward scam involves someone giving you a voucher with an attractive discount to a nearby restaurant. You decide to take up the offer, get to the restaurant, order your food and tuck in to your meal. Only when you get the bill and present the voucher are you told that it has expired or is not valid on what you ordered and are left to pay a lot more than you expected for an unmemorable meal.
The taxi fare scam
Spain generally has very safe and reliable taxi services which are licensed and function with clearly visible meters. So you should be weary of taxi drivers asking you to pay up front or telling you that their meter is not working. Never hand the driver money before you have reached your destination as you will likely be left on the street before you do so. As for the broken taxi meter, if you don’t know what a reasonable fare is to agree on beforehand, simply get out of the taxi and wait for the next one.
The fake police
This is a slightly more sophisticated scam which has fooled numerous travellers. The plot starts with you being approached by a friendly passer-by asking you for directions or some other piece of innocent information. A short while after you have spoken with them you are suddenly approached by two people claiming to be undercover police and presenting phoney badges to ‘prove’ their identity. They explain that the person you spoke to is under investigation and that you are now a witness. They will then ask to see your passport and even to search you, which is when they will help themselves to your valuables.
The Trojan horse suitcase
Probably the most far-fetched and possibly also the toughest to detect, this scam has been reported on long bus journeys such as from Girona to Barcelona. A person boards the bus with a large suitcase which they place in the hold. When the bus begins its journey, a pickpocket climbs out of the bag and goes through the contents of the other bags in the hold. The person then climbs back in to the bag before the bus stops and is carried off the bus. By the time the owners of the other bags notice their belongings are gone it’s usually much too late to do anything about it.
The group photo
This may sound too obvious but you’d be surprised by the number of people who get caught out by this scam. While standing in front of a popular landmark, a kind passer-by offers to take your picture with your friends. Charmed by their smile, you accept and go to stand with your friends. Only by the time you’re ready to smile the passer-by and your camera are both gone.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.